I know it’s a Lil Indian but....

So I picked up this Lil Indian I really don’t need thanks to [MENTION=718]pomfish[/MENTION]. Seems to me that the bike is a 1965? Early clutch cover, brake caliper and so on. However the shroud is stamped with a serial of 68 as the first two digits. I’m am sure the long block is original to the bike. It has the correct side cover with the pto bosses and sealed rear oil fill. I guess they could have changed the blower housing but color and patina matches perfectly. The carb was changed as it’s white not silver like the rest of the engine.
Anyone have any guesses? I want to change the tires, get it running as is and add a seat but I know it won’t stop there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems as though Cheesy cleared this up for me and the bike could actually be a ‘68 making the engine correct as I suspected. Thanks!

markus

1965 would have had the brake with 1 5/8 spacing, those small brakes didn't appear till sometime in 1967 into 68. Is it a fat headtube or skinny, its really hard to tell with that incorrect spring on there, and did you look underneath to see if its got a hole in the center of the engine plate (if it is a large headtube)

1965 would have had the brake with 1 5/8 spacing, those small brakes didn't appear till sometime in 1967 into 68. Is it a fat headtube or skinny, its really hard to tell with that incorrect spring on there, and did you look underneath to see if its got a hole in the center of the engine plate (if it is a large headtube)
It’s the larger head tube and no hole so should be Briggs powered?

markus

Yea, briggs was the norm for that setup, the serial number looks pretty high (if I see it right) it may have been pushing into early 1969 but still a steel wheel version. Doesnt really look too bad, headtube weld from whats shown looks pretty solid :thumbsup:

Yea, briggs was the norm for that setup, the serial number looks pretty high (if I see it right) it may have been pushing into early 1969 but still a steel wheel version. Doesnt really look too bad, headtube weld from whats shown looks pretty solid :thumbsup:
I really just want to get it running g but that will detract from the other dozen projects I have![emoji23] Thanks for the help. I didn’t think these smaller guards came on those years.

pomfish

So glad you were able to get that bike.
Look how good the paint is at the serial number area under the oil. Gotta love greasy oil for preservation:)

Best looking head tube I've seen for such an old Lil Indian.
I have one from the same era with steel wheels and it has the head beefed up big time.
Head bolt spring looks to be a valve spring.

This version of the Lil Indian has such a classic raked look to it, timeless.

Who made those clutches? Mercury maybe?
Anyway, glad it is in the clowder of OldMiniBikes.

Later,
Keith

P.S. numerous members googling the word clowder right now.

Thanks all. Just got this from Facebook...I appreciate everyone’s help. Not sure what to do with it yet but at least I know.

delray

nice find minibikin. definitely looks to be the correct engine. not the first 68 I have seen with only a small clutch guard and steel wheels. I think that's where it's get's little interesting. when did they change over to the aluminum wheels and larger covers. I seem to see a lot of opinions in the 68 to 69 years...:rolleyes:

delray

Thanks all. Just got this from Facebook...I appreciate everyone’s help. Not sure what to do with it yet but at least I know.

that's interesting to know chad. I have a set of numbers on my two speed frame with large tube just below yours and from all the info I could find in the past was that my frame was right around 68. so this info you got helps maybe verifly my year on my frame...:thumbsup:

Last edited: