I must be missing something..!!

For the last 2 hours I've been fiddling with the throttle linkage on my Model P..with 8 HP Briggs. Mr Trotter helped me out with the wire part that I was missing..but..after I had everything together....for the last time...I found the throttle was still wrong. The engine starts and runs at speed..not idle. Twisting the throttle keeps it at speed..Can't get the linkage to an idle setting. Can anyone offer a suggestion?..Engine is 1974..and runs like a champ..Any throttle talk greatly appreciated...thanks..jv..

I had a problem recently with the gov backwards where id start it and it would immediately accelerate up to speed. You may want to look at the gov arm and see if its opening the throttle plate on the carb.

I'm sure it's right..but I'll check again. The arm is pointing up..and is fastened so it will not move. Is there a kit for the B&S engine that connects to a standard twist throttle ?

This thing is driving me crazy. I see all kinds of kits for 5HP..later engines..but mine is old 8 HP with different carb. Going to get muffler...header is TOO loud. Does anyone have pics of any kind of linkage setup ? I'm about out of ideas...thanks..jv..

This thing is driving me crazy. I see all kinds of kits for 5HP..later engines..but mine is old 8 HP with different carb. Going to get muffler...header is TOO loud. Does anyone have pics of any kind of linkage setup ? I'm about out of ideas...thanks..jv..
Have you gone to the Briggs section? I thought there was a sticky there with linkage info. Im not really into Briggs. But ive seen it.

Well..Here's my update. This Model P was Powdercoated, new tires,clutch,belt,engine,chains,seat cover, screens, etc..and after another 4 hours I can't ride it one inch. I give up. I've tried the generic B&S 5HP kit that everyone sells.....and every variation of the parts I have that were on the engine. If anyone can come up with a solution..I'll pay your price...thanks..jv..

I cant find my detailed photos, but I set up a Tote Gote Nova as Richard Trotter recommended. I modified the back of the throttle linkage plate- (the one on the bottom of the engine) with an arm welded to the plate to attach a longer return spring to. A length of wire ran from the throttle linkage in the back of that piece to the throttle arm on the flow jet. NO GOVERNOR WAS USED.

On the front side of the place, I used the existing cable clamp to retain the throttle cable, and clamped a piece of wire to the cable which went to the hole in the throttle actuating arm. I apologize for not having better photos. The longer spring in the back was key to having enough throw to get full throttle, as well as a decent return to idle tension.

One thing I did not like was having to clamp a piece of wire to the throttle cable. I now know if I would have enlarged the hole in the throttle arm (front of the plate) I could have installed a KT100 throttle swivel to it, and used pure cable.

Richard had some detailed photos.

Thanks..I'm over the frustration part ..for now. Been thinking about a small bellcrank setup.. I appreciate the pics..I'll update when as progress made..