I need your help in educating me on how to buy vintage parts and mini bike. I am trying to find Sensation Mike's Bike that husband had in 1967.

I can't find any information about the date in which the Mike Bikes were made. I have found research that they were named after Frank Roger's son but any additional history would be most helpful. In addition, is it best to wait for a bike that has the most pieces and pass by the ones that are missing pieces or grab things when they appear? I know he will try to bring it back to it's original design but I seem to be having such a hard time finding parts that I don't know what I'm getting into. Also, if I saw a Fimco frame that was in excellent shape, the one that looks the same, would that be ok given that it was made by Sensation? Any help is appreciated. Should I even consider looking at frames like the $225.00 one on Philadelphia Craigslist given the appearance of rust?
That frame on Philly CL was purchased by me and I'm shipping it to a friend out west. It had some issues around the neck area and will need repairs to be correct. I can tell you there there is a correlation between Fimco and Sensation. I can't remember which came first but I believe it was Sensation.
The bike you listed in Virginia looks decent. Original seat and the original style engine. I'd have to see the engine numbers to be sure if it's original to the bike. I think that bike is overpriced by $200 or so....

Sensation expanded it's mini bike production in 1969 with the MB-6 series with the distinctive scalloped rear axle mount. They included models MB-6a with 3 hp Briggs engine, scrub brake and aluminum wheels.
MB-6a-t with Tecumseh HS40 engine.
MB-6b painted but not assembled including engine.
MB-6c less engine and unasssembled kit form
MB-6L with 5 hp Briggs engine, jackshaft, and internal expanding brake.
MB-6P "Mimi Chopper" with 3 hp briggs engine.
MB-6P-T Mimi Chopper with Tecumseh HS40 engine.
All were available with several accessories including lighting kit.
At the same time they also made their top of the line Go Devil MB-104 with 10" wire wheels.
MB-104K and MB-104GE
Sensation liquidated their inventory through Small Engine Distributors in Kansas City in 1971. Unsure of the exact relationship but Sensation designed mini bikes were sold thru Fimco Sprayer Co in Sioux City, including some rear suspension models. Howard Phelps, the original Owner of Sensation continued to sell and/or make some some MB-6 models under the Chief brand including the rear suspension model.

Attachments

@Dick DeBuse ...thank you, for filling in the blanks.

In that my Grandfather gave me my first mini bike, an mb-6a Sensation Mike Bike around 1969 or 1970, it will always be my favorite model of mini bike. I've told the story here, many times...lol.

I had no idea though, the depth of their product line, until reading your post.

@Dreammaker Diane ...your husband is a blessed man...good luck in your quest...!

(edit)...keep the faith too...it may seem like it takes a while, but they do surface occasionally. Through diligent perseverance, like thru this post, and searching daily...craigslist, FB marketplace, offer up, Ralston Ne want add, etc, I think you will find one.

Last edited:
Sensation made it's Model MB-6 mini bikes from 1967-69. Note that this early frame does not look like your photo, which is a later,model.
Thank you so much for all of your invaluable information. I have found a bike and now I am trying to identify the model number and serial number from what numbers I can read. I think I am missing the entire model number due to rust. What I have is 0361 01 6809183. Most of them are accurate. The 3 at the end is a maybe. Any additional help is greatly appreciate Dick. I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me of the bike's history.

Sensation expanded it's mini bike production in 1969 with the MB-6 series with the distinctive scalloped rear axle mount. They included models MB-6a with 3 hp Briggs engine, scrub brake and aluminum wheels.
MB-6a-t with Tecumseh HS40 engine.
MB-6b painted but not assembled including engine.
MB-6c less engine and unasssembled kit form
MB-6L with 5 hp Briggs engine, jackshaft, and internal expanding brake.
MB-6P "Mimi Chopper" with 3 hp briggs engine.
MB-6P-T Mimi Chopper with Tecumseh HS40 engine.
All were available with several accessories including lighting kit.
At the same time they also made their top of the line Go Devil MB-104 with 10" wire wheels.
MB-104K and MB-104GE
Sensation liquidated their inventory through Small Engine Distributors in Kansas City in 1971. Unsure of the exact relationship but Sensation designed mini bikes were sold thru Fimco Sprayer Co in Sioux City, including some rear suspension models. Howard Phelps, the original Owner of Sensation continued to sell and/or make some some MB-6 models under the Chief brand including the rear suspension model.
Wow. Thanks so much Dick for all this incredibly detailed and historic information. I picked up a bike for my husband, and I'm now trying to identify it by a partial number 0361 01-6809183. The last number is questionable and I think due to rust that the first group of model numbers are missing although I know it is a horizontal shaft, rewind start, single cylinder. If the valves are on top, I am assuming it is also has an overhead valve configuration but since I am a novice that is only a guess. Is there any way of determining the cubic inch displacement which I think might be the first two numbers but measuring something? I have little knowledge about bikes so any additional information or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

@Dick DeBuse ...thank you, for filling in the blanks.

In that my Grandfather gave me my first mini bike, an mb-6a Sensation Mike Bike around 1969 or 1970, it will always be my favorite model of mini bike. I've told the story here, many times...lol.

I had no idea though, the depth of their product line, until reading your post.

@Dreammaker Diane ...your husband is a blessed man...good luck in your quest...!

(edit)...keep the faith too...it may seem like it takes a while, but they do surface occasionally. Through diligent perseverance, like thru this post, and searching daily...craigslist, FB marketplace, offer up, Ralston Ne want add, etc, I think you will find one.
Hi Robert. Thanks for your kind words. I am indeed diligent and since I first posted, I have been able to find 3 mb-6a bikes through several of the forums I joined. My husband is beyond excited and the information that Dick posted helps provide more history which we are thrilled to receive. I can't believe the price sheets, the parts description which was missing in all the other info I had tracked down and the advertisements. I'm printing them all out and putting them in a book for my husband and I have been amazed at how helpful everyone has been. I'm sure I will make mistakes as I know nothing about minibikes and restoration work but I am enjoying the process simply by the joy my husband is experiencing. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I'll post more as the process develops. It's nice to read that it was a special bike to you as well. I know it's not the same, but I have my vintage schwinns still and they are still very comfortable to ride. Take care and thanks again.

That frame on Philly CL was purchased by me and I'm shipping it to a friend out west. It had some issues around the neck area and will need repairs to be correct. I can tell you there there is a correlation between Fimco and Sensation. I can't remember which came first but I believe it was Sensation.
The bike you listed in Virginia looks decent. Original seat and the original style engine. I'd have to see the engine numbers to be sure if it's original to the bike. I think that bike is overpriced by $200 or so....
I'm happy to read that you were able to get a frame that someone else wanted and will enjoy restoring. Thanks for responding and helping out. I have secured a bike and if you can provide me any assistance on a partial code marking I would appreciate it. The numbers I can read are 0361-01-6809183. I have only come up with one model number that has the possibility of these other numbers and that is the 082232 model. If I am reading it correctly the engine was made on Sept 18, 1968 but given I'm new to this I could be way off. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

That's great to hear Diane, that you've already found a bike !

It took me a number of months to find one. I wasn't actively searching so I tell myself (like most of my other mini bike finds) But early on in my adult mini bike addiction, I developed this habit, that at times is stronger than others, of checking craigslist multiple times daily. And one day, there it was, in all it's glory, a Sensation Mike Bike, with after market motor, recovered seat, bent footpeg, and one Rupp wheel...lol.

Any chance you could post us some pictures, so that we can see what you all are starting with ?

We love before and after perspectives.

Good evening everyone. I am posting photos of the two Mike Bikes I found for my husband and Mike to whom the bike was named after. Found one in Pennsylvania and one in Virginia Beach. One was spray painted, one was original paint so we can get an accurate match and the only accessory we are missing is the rack on the second one for Mike. Now the restoration begins! My husband is beyond thrilled and has ridden the one they are holding thanks to Jim the seller who had it in tip top condition. Now I am trying to find replicas of the Mike Bike sticker. I have written to Delray but haven't heard back from him. I am also looking for "Ice White" Briggs and Stratton paint and the bike rack should anyone come across those items. Thanks for all your help and encouragement. I'll post more as the restoration progresses.
IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1821.JPG