I want to make a frame building jig

Hi has any one ever used a frame buildig jig

what I have been looking for is either a set plans or some one who I talk to about building one

any ideas would great and if I find any thing I'll post it here so you may want to check back from time to time

catch you all later

There are some really bad examples of frame jigs in some of the DIY minibike and scooter sites...

I won't name them because the guys who did all the work for the sites were just minibike enthusiasts trying to promote the hobby, and not industrial engineers...

A simple fixed/non-adjustable frame jig can be made of plywood if someone wants to make a few frames that are all the same material and dimensions...

An adjustable jig made of steel allows changes in frame geometry and size...useful for producing numerous frames of varying size and style...

Skilled builders can make 'true' frames without a jig, using a build bench, full scale drawings, and clamping/aligning tools...useful if you build custom frames of odd materials, and rarely build two that are similar in size or shape...

The type of jig best suited to someone's needs depends a lot on what they intend to use it for...

Good jig...

There are companies making and selling these for under $2000...a sound investment if someone really wants to build bikes...

There are other jigs on the net that should be avoided for two main reasons...

1- The jig is used to bend or shape tubing...

2- The jig must be disassembled in order to remove the tacked frame...

I totally agree

While I was looking for this jig I came across alot of jigs that I wouldn't touch for the same reason

after carefully looking at this jig I think most of us here could make there own frame building jig if they wanted to make a bunch of frames

as for pipe bending I think you could buy a hydrolic bender from most tool supply stores for about AUD$150 - $200 or maybe around US$100

I'll give it a go and see what I come up with

I'll keep you posted

.............happy building...............

Last edited:
Ah, poop...my Adobe pdf reader is saying these files are damaged and can't be repaired...they won't open for me...

Anybody else having the same problem?

Oldsalt

All you really need is the portion of the fixture that positions the steering head. If that is mounted on a steel table any style or size of custom frame can be accurately produced by use a layout on the table surface and by use of carpenter frameing squares to get the tpt portion of the frame correct. Done it lots of times.