I was disappointed!!

I came here the other day, looking for the proper way to set the points and timing, on a Tec 3.5, at least that's what I think I have, it's a motor that I got on a bike last year, no recoil housing, therefore no numbers. Last summer I switched parts with some parts I had to make a whole motor, and it ran pretty good, till I tried to weld some splatter on the handle bars to keep the twist grip from slipping around, it was a good idea, but next time I will remove the motor, as I think I fried either the points, or the condenser, or both.
I picked this bike to fix and sell, it ran great last year, it has brakes, it's not pristine frame or bike, so it can be sold to make money for some parts for other better projects to come.
Today I visited a real honest to goodness lawnmower shop to buy a new set of points, a new condenser, and a new muffler. The place is called Steet's Mower, in Kenmore, Ohio, I asked the owner about setting the points and timing on this motor, and he explained that it was kind of complicated to set the points and condenser, but said he would show me how for $5.00, sounds like a deal to me, so tomorrow I will be back there to learn!! I will try to get some pics, so keep an eye out for that!
dave dickson

buckeye

I am pretty green at this stuff and thought about going to the small engine repair shop and volunteering. See if I could learn a thing or two without getting in the way.

NEC, my disappointment came when I couldn't find the information right away, I read a thread where it was sugested to put the timing back using the scratches from the screws from a prior mounting, I robbed one motor for the whole ignition assembly,using those screw scratches, same screws crime the motor I robbed, the motor failed to start, no spark, so now since I'm not a Tec fan, I have to seek the advice of someone who knows, I will be glad to share any information I get on this subject if any one is interested, as the information becomes available to me.
dave dickson