Idle screw PLEASE HELP!

I got a 250cc quad that has been great until today.
The idle speed is higher now and when I turn the idle screw nothing happens, but when I turn it other way to raise the RPM (just to test if the screw isn't working at all) then it actually works, but problem now is now that the idle is so high it's crazy, and all I can do is to raise it even more.

Anyone know what I can do? Is the screw out of position or what? If so how do i solve it?

Really appreciate any answer...

Sounds like maybe you've got an air leak somewhere. Is the engine a 2-stroke or 4-stroke?
Its a 4 stroke. Is air leak serious damage or easily fixed?
I’ve noticed it helps to turn the throttle to lift the slide off the idle screw … then make my small adjustment to the idle screw. Then let off the throttle to test my setting. But then I might just be goofy.
How do you do that? I don't get it. I turn the throttle while its on and try to adjust it when I gave it gas?
Problem is since I only can raise the rpm and not lower its at very high rpm already and im afraid i will fuck stuff up more...
I changed sparkplug aswell but nothing changed

f4radar

Its a 4 stroke. Is air leak serious damage or easily fixed?

How do you do that? I don't get it. I turn the throttle while its on and try to adjust it when I gave it gas?
Problem is since I only can raise the rpm and not lower its at very high rpm already and im afraid i will fuck stuff up more...
I changed sparkplug aswell but nothing changed
I'm assuming you have a slide carburetor. The idle screw physically limits the slide travel {up or down} to set the idle. To do this the idle screw makes contact with the slide. If the slide stick for some reason while you're adjusting you can scar the slide just screwing the idle screw into it. Once the slide gets scarred all bets are off. I lift the slide off the idle screw with the throttle when I make an adjustment to avoid that possibility.

Minimichael

We also really need pictures of what you're screwing. Check throttle action, and cable connection and make sure nothing is pinched up or grinding when twisting, and check that the length of cable is not binding up against the frame or atv body anywhere. Air leak can be found between carb and engine - so tighten everything holding all that together.

We also really need pictures of what you're screwing. Check throttle action, and cable connection and make sure nothing is pinched up or grinding when twisting, and check that the length of cable is not binding up against the frame or atv body anywhere. Air leak can be found between carb and engine - so tighten everything holding all that together.
Hey guys. Thanks alot for trying to help me. Here is the screw. Engine is a lifan 250 i think its called

Attachments

Hey guys, throttle cable I don't think it is.
Problem is that I can only adjust RAISE the idle but not lower it.
I think the idle screw lost grip somehow, anyone know how to solve that? Thanks alot

Hey bro. I forgot to quote you. See above please.

I'm assuming you have a slide carburetor. The idle screw physically limits the slide travel {up or down} to set the idle. To do this the idle screw makes contact with the slide. If the slide stick for some reason while you're adjusting you can scar the slide just screwing the idle screw into it. Once the slide gets scarred all bets are off. I lift the slide off the idle screw with the throttle when I make an adjustment to avoid that possibility.
A bit to advanced English for me sorry bro.
Can you try to explain this more basic? Or perhaps a video? Thank you alot for trying to help me. Appreciated as fuk

DaddyJohn

The idle screw just sets a lower stop position for the slide. If you screw it in to raise the idle, then screw it out, and the idle doesn’t lower, it’s likely your slide is sticking.

But if I take the whole screw out the idle will be so high I'm afraid I will destroy the whole engine....
Thanks alot for answering, omg I love this forum you guys answer within minutes❤️
Back the screw out and take a look at the threads. If you can't unscrew it the hole or the screw is striped.

The idle screw just sets a lower stop position for the slide. If you screw it in to raise the idle, then screw it out, and the idle doesn’t lower, it’s likely your slide is sticking.
Sorry for the mess. But, if this would be the problem, wouldn't It do something when I turn the screw down again? Since now if I turn it to the right the idle gets higher, but since I made couple of turns now shouldn't it atleast lower the rpm when j turn it to the left? Or you still think this is the problem?
Ty bro!

Minimichael

Sorry for the mess. But, if this would be the problem, wouldn't It do something when I turn the screw down again? Since now if I turn it to the right the idle gets higher, but since I made couple of turns now shouldn't it atleast lower the rpm when j turn it to the left? Or you still think this is the problem?
Ty bro!
I'm not trying to come across as rude, but you're kinda the one that should make a video, or post more accurate pics. This is getting difficult because so much has been said, and frustrating to follow because it seems you misunderstand some of what's being recommended. Show us the engine. Show us the carb. Show us the screw. Tell us what you understand about it, and what you've tried so far. Then you're likely to get farther...

Last edited:

Minimichael

And the screw you point to appears bent or something ...might just be the angle of the photo? Carb also appears unlevel? And jammed under a seat? Show us under there. Is the cable stressed at the top of the slide chamber? Have you inspected the slide? Is the choke/enricher tweaked?