If buying this is wrong I don’t want to be right

mustangfrank

Probably pissed off some vintage snowblower collectors but worth it. Those plastic belt/drive shrouds are usually brittle and cracked, engine looks clean and probably low hours...nice score.

Drove past one on the curb today. HS5, looked minty, even pulled over ok. I felt bad leaving it there, had no tools to yank off the engine or any way to get the whole thing home.

markus

I am using a 1977 one of those Crapsman HS50 snowblower engines as a donor for a buildup right now. I left some of the paint on the starter ug for the time being......I gotta go get some aluminum screws to fill the holes and then mill that surface flat.

IMG_2653.JPG

I got the block prep work done though, trued the surfaces (the usual low spot near the exhaust valve), multi angle valve seat recut, recut/refaced the valve faces, deburred the ports, deglazed/added cross hatch to the crank journal bores and the connecting rod journal, very quick deglaze on the cylinder since it measured true down the bore and still in spec. Getting an NOS crank as this one came to me with a broke off snout so I will prep all its surfaces, along with the camshaft right before it gets it final hot soapy bath before assembly.

f4radar

Would you really rather blow up 2 engines, then buy a billet rod?
That just seems nutz to me
No, I was kidding around it came to mind as I was buying a billet rod...just commentary on how inexpensive these great engines are.
I am using a 1977 one of those Crapsman HS50 snowblower engines as a donor for a buildup right now. I left some of the paint on the starter ug for the time being......I gotta go get some aluminum screws to fill the holes and then mill that surface flat.

View attachment 282492

I got the block prep work done though, trued the surfaces (the usual low spot near the exhaust valve), multi angle valve seat recut, recut/refaced the valve faces, deburred the ports, deglazed/added cross hatch to the crank journal bores and the connecting rod journal, very quick deglaze on the cylinder since it measured true down the bore and still in spec. Getting an NOS crank as this one came to me with a broke off snout so I will prep all its surfaces, along with the camshaft right before it gets it final hot soapy bath before assembly.
Wow! You do nice work. Is there a link to where you detail one of your HS40+10 conversion?

Last edited:

markus

No, I was kidding around it came to mind as I was buying a billet rod...just commentary on how inexpensive these great engines are.

Wow! You do nice work. Is there a link to where you detail one of your HS40+10 conversion?
Not really sure, I think I just mentioned them here and there. Since this one is a bushing supported crankshaft, I am probably going to go that route with this one unless someone needs a rebuilt SBH. Unlike HS40's all recreational spec factory built HS50's came with ball bearing shafts where basically Rupp was the only manufacturer to use a ball bearing supported shaft on the HS40 and all others were bushing (Tecumseh used the BB on the "off the shelf" slanted application units as well).

so with it having the bushing, shaft it looks and fits the bill better as an HS40 (but with a secret ;) ), Plus I have more spare curved shrouds and flywheel assemblies than squares :D

toomanytoys

2 3000gt sitting there?

Had a dodge stealth r/t back on the day. I was a fun little car for a 90s ride. Had it one summer before I sold it off because I needed a truck.

f4radar

2 3000gt sitting there?

Had a dodge stealth r/t back on the day. I was a fun little car for a 90s ride. Had it one summer before I sold it off because I needed a truck.
Ones complete and ones parts twin turbos were pretty fun in the 90. They’re just the tops of groundhog dens these days.

toomanytoys

Ones complete and ones parts twin turbos were pretty fun in the 90. They’re just the tops of groundhog dens these days.
Dodge as a brand has always perplexed me. 80s and 90s they were so innovative with turbo cars. Say what you will be the Dodge neon was a fantastic car line. I put many miles on an autocross course in a 1997 ACR Neon. I had an SRT4 that was so much fun. Buddy had a GLH and another a Talon.

Such great cars. Now their cars are all boats or uninspiring crap! I do like their mini vans. We have a 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L now. Before that a 2016 Grand Caravan.

I74

Dodge as a brand has always perplexed me. 80s and 90s they were so innovative with turbo cars. Say what you will be the Dodge neon was a fantastic car line. I put many miles on an autocross course in a 1997 ACR Neon. I had an SRT4 that was so much fun. Buddy had a GLH and another a Talon.

Such great cars. Now their cars are all boats or uninspiring crap! I do like their mini vans. We have a 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L now. Before that a 2016 Grand Caravan.
The GLH stood for ''Goes Like Hell''... ''What a sleeper'' !

Turbo Daytona for me . :cool:

Have a 2015 Dart 2.4 Rallye,, that we bought new.
That's been an awesome ''reliable'' car, with 73k on it now.

toomanytoys

2000 Plymouth Neon... 312,000 and counting.... :cool:
My record was 423,000 on a 1996 highline sedan. Auto sohc. It had 350,000 on it when I bought it. Sold it to a friend and he got it to break 500,000 and then he totaled it hitting a deer on the highway.

Original motor and transmission. Had a few wheel bearings, axles, starters, alternators, various sensors, and it would eat oil pressure sending units which would cause a major oil leak. All expected repairs as a car ages.

The GLH stood for ''Goes Like Hell''... ''What a sleeper'' !

Turbo Daytona for me . :cool:

Have a 2015 Dart 2.4 Rallye,, that we bought new.
That's been an awesome ''reliable'' car, with 73k on it now.
I wasn't a fan of the dart but I've been told they were good cars. Dodge went away from that sporty fun package and just went a whole different direction. I think the dart is a fiat Viaggio rebadge from the FCA days.

I74

My record was 423,000 on a 1996 highline sedan. Auto sohc. It had 350,000 on it when I bought it. Sold it to a friend and he got it to break 500,000 and then he totaled it hitting a deer on the highway.

Original motor and transmission. Had a few wheel bearings, axles, starters, alternators, various sensors, and it would eat oil pressure sending units which would cause a major oil leak. All expected repairs as a car ages.

I wasn't a fan of the dart but I've been told they were good cars. Dodge went away from that sporty fun package and just went a whole different direction. I think the dart is a fiat Viaggio rebadge from the FCA days.
The Darts pretty much all a Chrysler design.

Chrysler/ Fiat did go backwards though after dropping the Dart in 2016,, for ''I think'' to push actual Fiat sales.
Real bad move there. :rolleyes:

You know what Fiat ''still'' stands for,,,, - ''Fix it again Tony'' . :p

Worked on tons of Neon's throughout the later part of my career,, & mostly the problems with those, was electrical powertrain systems.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

The Darts pretty much all a Chrysler design.

Chrysler/ Fiat did go backwards though after dropping the Dart in 2016,, for ''I think'' to push actual Fiat sales.
Real bad move there. :rolleyes:

You know what Fiat ''still'' stands for,,,, - ''Fix it again Tony'' . :p

Worked on tons of Neon's throughout the later part of my career,, & mostly the problems with those, was electrical powertrain systems.

I dont know if they still sell it but the Chrysler 200 was kind of like the dart. Smaller car.

I'm all imports now. Toyota and Subaru have been my go to. The WRX is one of the few awd turbo cars sub 30 grand you can find. Might be the only. Although my next vehicle will be a VW Golf R but those are north of 40k. I may be getting older but I still love my small quick cars.