If you don't change your oil who would you trust?

toomanytoys

If you weren't going to change your own oil who would you take it to? I've heard so many horror stories about quick lube places and walmart ect that I am scared to take my car to any of those. Even the Toyota garage had the oil drain plug so tight it took me a long handled half inch ratchet to break it loose and the wheel lugs so over torqued that it took me jumping on my breaker bar to break them loose.

I took my camry to the Toyota garage for the first change 79.50 for oil filter and tire rotation. I did the second one myself for 32 dollars. 0w20 synthetic is expensive.

I don't really have the time to change my oil anymore. Traveling working and living in two places is hard at best.

Should I interview some mom and pop shops or just break down and make time to do it myself?

I do all my own oil changes. This includes my 3 drivers, wife's car, and daughters car. Plus all the bikes, etc. The monetary savings goes toward bikes. :thumbsup:

But if you can afford it, most places will do a good job, but there are bad places. Ask friends who they take their vehicles to.

Make time!

They once stripped the pan on one of my wife's cars and stripped the bolt on to of my trucks! They never grease the fittings either. I've heard about people blowing engines and my uncles tranny blew from a loose plug. ( all from different shops)

So it's always best to make time and it goes very quick with these style wrenches a big mouth funnel and a recovery container with the screen in it incase the plug falls in. :laugh: all are cheap and you run synth for way cheaper.

Trust NO ONE!

MikeBear

I get mine changed at the Valvoline Instant oil place. I try to time it to when they are dancing around out front with a "1/2 price sale TODAY ONLY" sign. That's cheaper then me buying the stuff and doing it myself. My last time was within this month, and they even replaced the oil plug because they said it was getting a little stripped. They are the only ones that have ever changed oil in this present car ( I bought it as a 1 year old used car though)

I used to use Walmart for my older car, until once when my son took his in, and they screwed it up royally. Almost blew his engine due to that, so I've never gone back. How the *ell can anybody screw up an oil changed is beyond me, but they did it...

TMT,I've used a locally owned shop for the last 15yrs and have had only one issue, they accidently locked my keys in the car but then ran me home to get another set and the oil change was free. They keep a record of oil changes for all my vehicles and when I sell a car or truck, I get a print out of changes and add it to the maintenance records and give that to new owner. Maybe you could find a local shop and watch them change it and talk to them about what kind of check system they use to make sure no mistakes are made. Hope this might help and good luck.

Actually..I have pulled a tooth of my own before. What next smarty?:shrug: And you might wanna read..."If I become that lazy"
hahahaha thats awesome cheezy you should have put it on youtube

trust no one. ive heard too many stories...

i personally have a friend i went to mechanic school with who worked at a firestone. changed the filter but forgot to put oil back in. that car got an engine. another car got rotation, one of the wheels was only hand tight and guy was on the side of the road, my buddy drove past him and didnt realize the connection till he got to work the next day. the engine they let him slide on, his first mistake. after the lug nut incident they let him go lol. i love him like a brother but i watch everything he does to make sure hes not doing it wrong.

i tried the "i dont have time" thing..... our local mechanic charged us for alignment that never happened, i made them replace those tires. they tried to do that again on my old honda i sold to my buddy, he had an accident and swapped everything to another body and the rear was farther out of line than the adjusters would adjust for, like visibly really bad like something was bent. didnt say a word just tried to charge 60 bucks. granted it was an underling... i had looked at it on the way in and asked him what the deal was... said he did "the best he could" i told him that if it had a damaged part that wouldnt allow for a proper alignment YOU STOP AND CONTACT THE CUSTOMER BEFORE YOU GO FURTHER you dont hand it back like nothing is wrong and say nothing. i asked for the keys and walked out.

i dont have an alignment machine so i took it to a place that works on fleet vehicles as well as tires for big trucks, they even have a tread machine! crazy stuff but they have reasonable prices and do good work, only charged once for alignment after they let us take it back off, make a longer adjuster to fix the alignment issue and put back on machine. Aiken Black Tire in Hickory NC, for anyone in that area. good guys.

find a place that works on fleet vehicles, talk to the mechanics NOT the service manager. ask them a few questions to make sure they arent a bunch of LUG NUTS

hahahaha thats awesome cheezy you should have put it on youtube

I do not recommend it...I also spent the next few months playing my own dentist removing the bone fragments I missed with a razor and a pocket knife. Ya..I roll hard core. I also stitch myself and cut my own hair among all home repairs/ auto repairs and still work 45-60 hours a week as a single parent(with custody). I hate paying others to do stuff. :doah:

And if you go anywhere to have it changed...go to a dealer. They now seem to have the same (if not cheaper) price on it and there is a guarantee.

Since free maintenance is part of owning a lot of new vehicles these days. Including mine and my wife's vehicles. I take it to the dealership. Having your vehicle serviced at a dealership and having all the records helps when there is an issue. Just because a vehicle is "out" of warranty doesn't mean you can't get it fixed under what is known as "goodwill" warranty. If you are a loyal service customer they want you to be happy so that you buy another vehicle from them and continue to be a "good" customer. There is money put aside for problems and is often used for "good" customers. I have been with an auto group for going on 25 years and I know how the game is played... We don't own a Toyota dealership but My wife and I drive Toyotas. I have gotten to know the owner of the dealership and have gotten him involved in the last 7 new vehicles I have purchased. He knows he will not make a single penny on me selling me the vehicle but I service them with him religiously. So he gets it over time. I guarantee him good surveys and when I sell my vehicles or trade them in I get top dollar(and that is a fact,I am the wholesale manager for an auto group and have sold over 50,000 vehicles in my career so I know what my trades are worth). I get top dollar for them because I have every service record. Trust me,when you have a record of every oil change and service from a franchised dealer it is worth much more than if you do from a quick lube or by doing them yourself. The money and time you think you are saving by doing them yourself is only costing you money. Unless you drive your vehicles into the ground and junk them when you are done. Then it doesnt matter.

a freind went the quick lube place last oil change and they handed her the dipstick and said it would be fine without it :laugh: she should have made them buy a new one. I fixed it 40$ later :eek:ut: Id say any mom and pop place will be better than an instant place. Down side is you need an appointment and itll probrobly cost more. Easier just to do it yourself. Seriously what does it take 30 minutes. maby an hour and a half if you have to make a special trip to the store

Bikerscum

When mine was under warranty (100,000 mile) I took it to the Pennzoil place just so I wouldn't have a hassle if there was a claim. They did a good job, but always tried to sell me a cabin air filter or something.

Now I do it myself & save a ton of $$.

The wife's mini cooper only needs changed once a year :laugh: She drives maybe 20 miles a week.