I have no idea if they run
here are the pros that I can think of
Predator - lots of after market parts
Briggs - a flathead looks cool
Tecumseh - has an electric start
Help me choose

I may be able to get 2 of them

pomfish

Predator looks like it has had some "Love" with the bashed corner of the tank and the naked carb adapter.
The 5 Horse Briggs would be my choice, at $80 pass on the Predator and get a new one.

Electric start is cool but having a heavy ass battery and 120V convertor is not.
Even if it is a 12 volt starter still takes a battery, power to weight is name of the game with small engines.
Might get away with a lithium jump box/pack, if so then weight is no problem. You need to find out more info on that one for sure.
HTH

chrisr

The 10 tec, if it has a lighting coil is nice for lights along with the 12v starter where a small motorcycle battery works great - I have this on several large mini bikes. The 5hp Briggs are nice for small mini bikes.

Addicted 2 Minis

The Briggs is a no brainer, it's a "Fun Power" so it's already set up for a mini bike or go kart. The Tecumseh is a little too big for either a mini bike or small go kart. I would pass on the Predator, you can get a new one for $20-$30 more than what they want for theirs used, not worth the risk.

If you have a big heavy frame, I would go with the Tec.
Briggs has tons of aftermarket racing parts available, and it’s the cheapest.
I don’t use predators but if I did I would just buy a new one.

I talked to the guy last night. He claims the tac has a 3/4 shaft and a 12v starter. From what I’ve read it can run in the mid 3000’s can I safely increase the rpm?

chrisr

The big block Tec come in 8 and 10hp and in 3/4 or 1" like your pic shows but going over 3000 is not recommended with the stock parts. I have several of these installed on big mini bikes (like my avatar) and they do have a 12v starter that works great on a small motorcycle battery. The drawback is they are heavy and big but last a long time if you take care of them. A 5hp Briggs, 4/5hp Tec or 6.5hp Predator can make a lot of power with aftermarket parts and in a much smaller size and weight but it may cost more for $ vs. hp.

joshua. c.

the 10 hp Tecumseh will have tons of torque and arc racing sells billet rod and a very expensive flywheel for it. I've seen ones with aftermarket carbs and headers in a mini bikes and they were insane. they leave everyone else in the dust but any engine with that type of displacement advantage would. most people stick to 6.5hp and under because they fit in the frames better and have plenty of power. big block bikes are around but a bit un common. I have a briggs 5hp flathead in my current fastest bike its heavily modified and can outrun most stock engines but gets beaten by modified over head valve engines. its a good reliable and potentially fast engine. I don't like predators, they're a slightly altered cheep honda nock off. a genuine honda would be a better choice, they are built better and would last 3x as long.

joshua. c.

there's a group of ice racers near me who all have 10hp bikes. they show up at most of the local events all summer long, cool guys. I even got to try 2 of there bikes. those things were scary powerful. anything above 7hp isn't legal to win at most of the events held around hear but they can still race for fun.