Ignition wiper service

markus

I ran out of cleaned stator/magneto's to work with and have to go through some to get ready for service so I did a quick and terribly done video of how I have been servicing the wiper felts. I didnt put it in the video cause I was trying to keep it short, and doing it with a camera in one hand was a no-go but I just use brake clean to get them clean and then some compressed air out of the blowgun (not full throttle) to kinda dry them out and puff them up just a touch before hand. I am sure there are "better" ways and products to use....and I am sure we will hear about them :p Enjoy!

markus

ended up digging out 7 stators and got those felts cleaned and regreased yesterday while I still had my super fancy melting bowl still setup :), I didn't feel like digging out another box that has flywheels and mags in it....this should get me by for awhile, now onto cleaning and setting up all the other parts of the ignition systems before my A.D.D. goes full stop and everything gets thrown into a box and I grab an electronic ignition to play with, I have a late model electronic lighted wheel on the way I bought this weekend. I want to play with it soon as it arrives, I better hustle!!!!!

I bought a box of used clutches from Comet and Max that I exercise my OCD on between replacing switches on appliances and electric tools. Do you try gluing in replacement plug wires to Tec magnetos? The reason I ask, is that the Oregon brand, et. al. come with the wrong mounting bump on it for the OEM retaining spring/clip. The clip doesn't engage the magneto. I've been shoving them on the mag frame with a dab of epoxy, and they hold. I've never been able to bend the spring/clip correctly to work on the Chinese mags.

markus

Yea I have put wire in the tec coils, I will actually have to do some this time as most of these mags were the extras that I have been robbing parts off of here and there. I dont know what glue they used but some of them look like they splooched it right on the end of the wire and pushed it in. I've just installed them by using a little glue just past the end, there are 4 little ribs that actually hold the wire pretty tight on its own that are in the bore so you really dont need much just enough to lock it in and a little barrier to keep moisture out. I do recommend measuring the depth of the hole in the coil and marking the wire casing so you know you got it pushed in as far as you can, since they can be tight....wish they were corckscrewed like the old honda coil wires.

I have never bought any of the aftermarket coils, but one came on an engine that I think I actually bought off here....just sitting on the stator floppin' in the breeze, couple of real light rub marks on the face of it from rubbing on the flywheel when revved up :D

capguncowboy

I bought a box of used clutches from Comet and Max that I exercise my OCD on between replacing switches on appliances and electric tools. Do you try gluing in replacement plug wires to Tec magnetos? The reason I ask, is that the Oregon brand, et. al. come with the wrong mounting bump on it for the OEM retaining spring/clip. The clip doesn't engage the magneto. I've been shoving them on the mag frame with a dab of epoxy, and they hold. I've never been able to bend the spring/clip correctly to work on the Chinese mags.
I ran into that issue just last week. That was the first time I tried using an Oregon coil (and will probably be my last). I ended up putting the old coil back on. The engine runs fine, so I'll just run it like that until it fails, if it ever does.

I thought about putting a dab of epoxy on it but feared i wouldn't be able to remove it if I needed to in the future. How difficult is it to break that loose?

Thanks markus, that is good info. I'd appreciate another video, or photos when you go that route with your pile-o-stators. :)

Andy, I always assumed that if I were going to be removing an epoxied magneto, I wasn't going to be re-using it. I always felt if I needed to remove it, I could do so without damaging the plates that comprise the stator body. Heck, some of them I've removed have been rusted on as good as any epoxy. ;)

capguncowboy

Thanks markus, that is good info. I'd appreciate another video, or photos when you go that route with your pile-o-stators. :)

Andy, I always assumed that if I were going to be removing an epoxied magneto, I wasn't going to be re-using it. I always felt if I needed to remove it, I could do so without damaging the plates that comprise the stator body. Heck, some of them I've removed have been rusted on as good as any epoxy. ;)
Yeah, I was referring more to the plates than the coil. The one I removed last week was stuck pretty bad. I turned flathead screwdriver perpendicular to the plates and used it to tap the stater off the coil. Worked like a charm and didn't damage anything.

markus

I put some rubber cushion on the jaw tops of my large shop vice, open it enough to clear the plate and set the sides of the coil bottom on top and tap the center prong of the plate with a wooden dowel just small enough to fit through the hole in the coil to drive the crusty ones through.

Regarding the china coils.....I'll probably get blasted for this ;)........the one I did I tweaked and bent one of the outer laminations of the plate after the coil was in place to lock it on :p Worked like a charm...if It didn't I had plenty of spares