Inch Pound Torque Wrench

I am in the market for an inch pound torque wrench. I am partial to Snap On torque wrenches but I like the old old ones as I feel they are better made than the newest stuff.... Maybe I am wrong, maybe I am right, I don't know... :shrug: But older stuff is with out question American made..... Who knows these days.

Help me out with opinions. I don't want a Pittsburg or the Elcheapo versions. I wont pay Tool Truck prices either. Ebay fodder is what I am chasing. What do you have and how do you like it.

I really like my old as dirt (had it 30 plus years) 1/2 drive Snap On torque wrench. Pawn Shop fodder too....

This will be a use it when I need it tool that I wont need but 8 or 10 times before I leave all this mess to my Nephew.........

Thanks,

Doug

I use a ten dollar HF click type 1/4 " one. I got a few after seeing a test of all the different brands. It was one of the more accurate ones. I do test it periodically. AgInst my beam type old craftsman.

You know.... I have 2 Craftsman Beam wrench's, 1 in 1/2 inch and 1 in 3/8 inch. I have not picked them up in years.. Bought them back in 1986. I would assume the 3/8 is inch pounds, I will have to look. Well I guess that answers my question. I like the price that's for sure...

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited:
LOL, one of my jobs in an earlier life was calibrating torque wrenches for use on aircraft. (Calibration Lab where we did electronics as well) Beam type wrenches required calibration then, same as the dial types.

Either way, calibration is not required for work on lawn mower engines, or at least, not to the same degree of accuracy whose failure would entail passengers screaming all the way down, with a "wing off" indicator light flashing.

Only thing I got to say about an inch pound wrench, is the same thing Ole4 said: Get it in 1/4" drive. I end up having to use the 3/8-1/4 adapter with a 12 pt socket to torque rod bolts, and it's "doable," but a pain in the arse to fit all that in the tiny crank case. I like the pop off, because I am not forced to orientate my work to a crappy position for applying torque, in order to see a beam/dial.

I like the pop off, because I am not forced to orientate my work to a crappy position for applying torque, in order to see a beam/dial.
I here ya about looking/seeing the needle. Beside the half blind factor standing on ones head to read the thing is not fun. I only need to use this thing on 2 bolts at the moment and I have a very good selection of 3/8 drive 12 point short Snap on sockets all the way down to 1/4 inch. More Pawn Shop fodder.... So hopefully I am covered. As long as the 3/8 is inch pounds, which I feel sure that it is.

The Pawn Shop used to be my second home when I lived in Charleston. But they are not so user friendly in the upstate. The last time I visited a local pawn shop they had a Starrett 6 inch dial caliper for $25.00. I have a nice 6 inch Starrett dial caliper at home already but thought it would be nice to have a second one... Well this one didn't work at all..... And he wouldn't budge off the price. I recently had mine rebuilt and calibrated locally by Viking Gauge and it cost me $94.00. Money well spent to me.

Doug

Like Ole, I checked around before I bought the Pittsburg Harbor Freights. They are accurate and heftier than one would think (maybe it's liability and they realized this tool had to work as advertised--unlike my local Dodge dealer who thought tightening and torquing lug nuts was an option). I, too, can't see upside down no matter what angle I move the Varilux lenses--so a nice thunk is great. Have both the 1/4 and 3/8 models.

I bought the HF 1/4 inch just for tightening the arc rod bolts to 160 inch pounds. Fits in and works great I had trouble with my beam one getting in straight onto the rod bolt. You have to be sure to back off the torque setting adjuster when putting it away. The car craft article showed any of then will go low if left with the spring tight over time.

We have a couple of the HF torque wrenches and have used them for many years with no problems. When we first purchased them we compared them with the more expensive "beam- type" Sears wrench we have and they were both calibrated perfectly.
Michael

i have the cdi (j.h. williams?) 1/4", 3/8, and 1/2" "click" torque wrenches. i like the click type for no reason
other than i don't have to read a gauge or a needle. i guess i like the haptic feedback.

:blink:

phil

I also have Pittsburgh torque click type torque wrenches. 1/4" and 1/2". Easy to use and great reviews. Comes in a blow molded case for safe keeping also!