Indian mini mini MM5A Project

I recently found a little Indian like the one my son learned to ride on 48 years ago.
I plan to rebuild / restore it to new condition and give it to him for his next birthday.
It's had a hard life and some parts are missing, such as the rear brake and the exhaust
guard. I've done a bit of research on the rear brake which is 80mm and while a few other
minibike rear brake plate look like the would fit are actually larger. Maybe someone out
there can help me find the correct one. The exhaust guard should be easy to fabricate.
The frame has been broken and a tube support has been added to the seat base.
The fork stem bearing race has been replaced but not done well so will be redone.
That's it for now, stay tuned.

Attachments

A closer look at the frame shows the steering head is twisted to one side.
This will take some thought on straightening. Either heat to correct or cut it off
and re-weld after set up in a fixture. Since the lower part needs to be replaced because
of a bad fix before, I will probably just replace the complete steering head.
The steering stop on the frame is missing as well as the two stops on the fork tree.
I'm not sure what these should look like but will keep looking for photos or a bike I can
use to copy the pieces correctly. Stay tuned.

Attachments

Today I burned the paint off the frame to get a better picture of what must be done to restore it.
The footrest mount needs replaced as the previous repair was crap.
I removed the little pipe support that was added to support the seat and in the process nearly amputated my
finger with the cut off wheel.
Now that I can see all the damage I will measure up parts that need replaced. This is turning into a bigger job
than I first thought. My son better appreciate this one.:scooter:
Stay tuned.

Attachments

Addicted 2 Minis

If you don't already have a manual, you can download it from here http://www.sunnymeadcycles.com/files/Mini_Mini_Frame_Assembly.pdf there's also a site that specializes in Indian dirt bikes http://www.indiandirtbikeparts.com/store.html that backing plate looks like ones used on mopeds, there's a moped site that has a bunch of stuff that I use quite often, https://www.treatland.tv/new-puch-peugeot-motobecane-vespa-moped-parts-s/88.htmI I searched for mm5a but didn't find anything but maybe you can send him a picture and he can match it up with something.

Addicted, thanks for those links. I have downloaded a few parts list but one from sunnymead is a different one. They all help.
I blasted the frame today only to discover more crappy weld repairs, and a serial number which I never knew they had. I wonder
if there was ever a registry made to account for all the MM5A's. Probably archived somewhere.
I'm missing the correct steering head bearing upper race and wondering if it's a common piece to other scooters/ mopeds.
The brake backing plate looks very similar to many other mini's but is only 3"+ where many others are 4". More research.
Stay tuned.

Attachments

Addicted 2 Minis

No problem, the bikes are also known as ItalJet MM5A and I believe the size of the backing plate you're looking for is 80mm. I would start looking for cycle salvage yards in your area. There's one by me in Yale Michigan called EMC Cycle Salvage that has a lot of old stuff. They're pretty good but they can be pricey, so much so that I have left the part sitting there after driving an hour to get it.

Sorry about the double image posting. I don't see any option to edit one out either.

Addicted, Unfortunately there aren't any cycle salvage yards within a hundred miles but I'll keep looking.
I agree, the MM5A takes a 80mm brake and also being on the right side, the cable approach is at the bottom
of the backing plate. I see others that are obviously made for the left side.

Kmanator, Now that's a place I hadn't thought of. For sure they didn't use brakes on those rides.

I'll concentrate on the swing arm while I research the brake parts. The shock mount has been moved for some reason.
Maybe the threads were stripped. I can see where the mount should be but not sure what they should look like,
probably a rounded tab that is thick enough to thread. The brake plate anchor is not correct. It's a hex rod that appears
to have been added and is much too long, more research.
Stay tuned.

Attachments

The brake plate anchor is not correct. It's a hex rod that appears
to have been added and is much too long, more research.
Stay tuned.
The hex anchor might be factory? They used the same setup on my Scat-Cat front and rear...The factory used an All-thread coupling nut,Possibly the industry standard then??

100_6953.JPG

Kmanator, Thanks for that bit of info. I'll hold off removing it at least until I have a brake in the wheel to mock up in the swing arm.

Been beating the bushes but no luck on a brake backing plate yet. A MM5A showed up locally yesterday and the brake plate shows the cable going above the axle. I haven't seen this before in all the photos I've looked at. Any one seen this before?

Attachments

Been beating the bushes but no luck on a brake backing plate yet. A MM5A showed up locally yesterday and the brake plate shows the cable going above the axle. I haven't seen this before in all the photos I've looked at. Any one seen this before?
I think the MM5B had it above the axle, that's what was weird about those ones I saw on eBay and why I pointed out one was for above and one was for below the axle. I would say, if the one that runs the arm above would be better if it fits, better to have the arm and cable out of harms way if you ask me.

Thanks guys for you input here. Some manuals show the brake arm hanging down but I've seen a few photos
with the arm pointing up. Is it possible those pointing up are the same as the front brake plate? I'll check that
when I get back home as I do have a front brake. This is from a MM5A parts list.

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 5.31.39 PM.png

Just measured and both brake drums are 80mm. The front brake plate appears to be for a moped scooter as it has a place for a speedo drive gear. If I shortened the brake stay on the swing arm, it would actually work.. Just saying, maybe some of the bikes that have the brake arm pointing up could be a version from the front brake. I'll keep looking.

Attachments

Kmanator, Thanks , I've been following that one but just not ready to shell out that much for one.

jamac638, Looking forward to any info you have to offer. There seems to be many differences from what
I see in photos on google.

Well, still no brake plate. I've seen several on ebay and have tried contacting some but no replies so far. With all the seasons activities
I'm guessing everyone is busy. If I don't get some replies soon I'll try again. I do see that Gremeca sells 80mm brake shoes in the same
style of the shoes I have for the front brake and they do list the different machines they fit. I'll eventually find the right one.
Happy New Year:scooter: