Indian outlaw chopper engine choice?

Thepaetsguy

I am stuck between it’s original and I want more power. I have a 3hp and a 5hp Briggs. The 3hp arc billet flywheel will fit the 3hp and also the 5hp with a coil drop bracket? Arc flywheels are much safer for mini bike applications? I wanna build up the 3hp with a mikuni and flywheel etc. While knowing I can swap the flywheel to the 5hp with the drop bracket and build up the 5hp later. Would you build the 3hp or would you build the 5hp with a 3hp flywheel or just keep the h30 stock? C4C533DC-BEB3-4898-B0E1-0F67C448F7A2.png F6C15ECB-B886-47DE-B76E-B77DB3914BE5.jpeg FCDDDF72-3EA4-4D13-8D10-180D6FD882BB.jpeg

Minimichael

I didn't think you needed billet unless you plan to regularly spin above 5k, but I'd build the 3hp anyway. It can be a monster 3, and as long as you gear it well... I'm old tho, and 40-ish mph on a mini is plenty fun already...

The challenge can be to build a 3 so good you never get to the 5hp build!

cfh

on a vintage chopper you really don't want to go more than 30mph. they are death traps. but that said, i would get an A, B or C series HS50 and build that. With the A, B or C series HS50, you could put an alloy 32517 flywheel and a rounded blower housing (which you can steal from the H30) to get the same look as your original H30 motor. And with HS50 you can get a better cam and billet rod, it's just a better way to go. Plus obviously it's 2 more horsepower (HS50 versus H30.)

1971_MB1A

on a vintage chopper you really don't want to go more than 30mph. they are death traps. but that said, i would get an A, B or C series HS50 and build that. With the A, B or C series HS50, you could put an alloy 32517 flywheel and a rounded blower housing (which you can steal from the H30) to get the same look as your original H30 motor. And with HS50 you can get a better cam and billet rod, it's just a better way to go. Plus obviously it's 2 more horsepower (HS50 versus H30.)
I agree,not the best choice to build a go fast bike from. They are more of a "cool factor" bike to look at.

Thepaetsguy

I ordered a 6605 billet flywheel and coil drop bracket. maybe go to dyno cams and order a cam for the 5hp? Shave the cylinder head down a bit. Mikuni carburetor. Just the full backyard mod lineup.

Thepaetsguy

Well the mikuni and header are on. I’m taking the cylinder head along with a few others to be shaved down 10 thousands. all I’m waiting on is an electronic coil to delete the points and the flywheel from arc. Of course I’ll need to snag a throttle cable from one of the karts. hoping it preforms better then the governed 3hp tecumseh on it now. 58D19723-ACA0-4EFA-AE2D-4D4762DFBF31.jpeg

cfh

it originally came with the Tecumseh h30 right? putting a Briggs on really isn't much better than a predator motor, in my eye...

Thepaetsguy

it originally came with the Tecumseh h30 right? putting a Briggs on really isn't much better than a predator motor, in my eye...
the h30 is original and runs flawless governed. When this 8hp looses the last bit of compression it has left I can transfer every part over from the 3hp to the 5hp and on top of that get a billet sidecover and camshaft. And most likely make more power then this mostly stock 8hp. then just put the h30 back on The chopper. the 3hp will be fun but when I need the parts the 5hp will be a good engine for the kart. BDBC63EC-DDC7-4531-80DF-72C01198252D.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

I had the cylinder head lightly shaved
decompression release gone
cleaned intake/exhaust casting.
now to take the head back off and do away with the eyebrows? Waiting on points delete coil and some nos j8 spark plugs. reading forums on here it sounds like I’ll need an intake spring from another 3hp or a 5hp intake spring for this 3hp exhaust valve? That helps with valve float to get some more rpm? I have only test ran it once. Nearly terrifying how quick it free revs to wide open throttle. 72A1DA98-36B2-4BF0-A024-55E4F1F2E43D.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

Ahh ya it mounted up no modifications. once the coil is here I’ll snip the points wire. waiting on a throttle cable from ebay with the plugs and it’s ready to rock. Again revs extremely fast. 9E68E35E-F035-4220-A9FA-C246D7DECD5B.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

but how is he gonna run the tank? No worries I have cleaned out rustier tanks before. And it’s even green kind of like the frame. I’m waiting on this and the twist throttle setup. they should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. then it’s riding time until I get the coil and snip the points wire. 2BDDBBE5-A11F-4495-90BC-1EE7C7999CE4.jpeg