Installing Axles .. ???

So I'm a bit of a newbie to the whole mini-bike building, but my project is actually a mini-chopper type thing. Very basic stuff & no gaudy accessories or expensive tune-ups. But my resources are limited because practically no one does this type of stuff in my area.

So for my chopper, I've bought a set of wheelbarrow wheels which have ball-bearings built into them so for my axle, I've just got a pair of iron bars that fit tightly through the ball-bearings; with spacers on either side. I'll post some pix later, but I wanna know the following:

1. Are iron rods okay for axles?
2. If I'm using 1/2" pipe that fits around the rods as spacers will I have any problems? Friction? Not a smooth ride?

125ccCrazy

those wheel barrow wheel's bearings are not going to hold up to much use or speed, they are low speed bearings intended just for what they came off of..

The pipe will work fine for spacers, I use it all the time...

if those are steel rods and not like rebar you should be fine...

Oh man, thanks a lot. Now I've got to find some better ball bearings and well them on..that's gonna be a bit tricky to say the least. But if its a 6.5 engine I'm probably gonna top it at about 30 mph are you sure that's going to be a problem??? This means more work to do before this deadline :no:. But thanks a lot for the advice.

Hey Lukego, are you seriously in Africa? If so, I see why you say your resources are limited. Smoothened out rebar doesn't sound good. you want something that has a flat surface, especially for the bearings. The inner race (diameter) of the bearing needs to mate perfectly with the axle. Otherwise, your tire is going to end up bouncing up and down and eventually throwing chains or worse. The sprocket and clutch need to be in perfect alignment if you want peace of mind and dont' want your chains coming off all the time.

Yeah, I am in Africa (Ghana). But I've got all the basics its just that its really hard to find specific parts like disc brakes, sprockets, and centrifugal clutches that are new. This project has been pretty challenging, but this forum helps A LOT. I'm doing the project for school--has got to be done by March 3rd. Thanks a lot for all of the advice on axles guys--thanks A TON. :thumbsup:

Ratbike

Work on it a little bit each day.:hammer: That will allow you time to ask questions and get responses in the mean time. You will then be able to make your deadline. Don't just work on it on the weekends,you will surely run out of time by doing it that way... That is what I do and I am able to get a tremendous amount done in no time...:shrug:

Hey guys, are "live axles" generally used on mini-bikes--like with the sprocket mounted directly to the axle and the wheel stuck to the axle??? Or is it a "free-floating" axle? Where the sprocket is mounted to the wheel?

If you guys use free-floating axles (what I'm using) then how did you mount the sprocket to the wheels??? I'm lost here ..:eek:ut:

to attatch a sprocket to the wheel, generally you use a hub like this. one side bolts to the wheel, and 1 side to the sprocket. Both the wheel and the sprocket have to have bolt patterns to match the hub. Mini bike wheels are alot of times a 'split rim' that is 2 halves that bolt together (and use an inner tube.). Your wheel barrow wheels are probably smooth 1 piece rims that have no bolts, correct? This will make it alot more difficult to get a sprocket on.

Ratbike

to attatch a sprocket to the wheel, generally you use a hub like this. one side bolts to the wheel, and 1 side to the sprocket. Both the wheel and the sprocket have to have bolt patterns to match the hub. Mini bike wheels are alot of times a 'split rim' that is 2 halves that bolt together (and use an inner tube.). Your wheel barrow wheels are probably smooth 1 piece rims that have no bolts, correct? This will make it alot more difficult to get a sprocket on.

This one is the normal set up which is not the live axle,,,Your best bet is to find an old wheel with sprocket on it already...