Intek compression release issue solved!

I bought a used Craftsman 46" cut with a Intek 21 hp single cylinder early last year.
From the beginning it was very hard starting, thought it was the battery .. bought a new one and it helped a little.
I would turn the key and if the battery wasn't FULLY charged it would stop against the compression stroke.
It was still a pain to start often needing my car charger/starter to get it going.
The motor calls for a 230 CCA Battery. I had bought a 300 CCA from Home Depot.
Over the winter I concluded it was a compression release issue. There is a compression release dog on the exhaust side of the cam.
I bought a cam/lifter kit a few months ago and have been waiting for warm weather.
I put it in yesterday ... same hard starting problem.
I went out today and bought a new 350 CCA battery from NAPA.
Before trying it I was topping up the charge.
I took this time to call my brother and discuss where I was at with it.
He asked if it was an OHV, I said yes. He thought maybe the rockers had come loose.
I took the head off and found the exhaust and intake rockers had .040 valve lash!
Specs call for about ..003 to .007.
I set the lash at .005 ... rolled the motor over by hand and there was my compression release bump!
It fired right up.

I assumed I had bought a bad battery last year so I went with a new one from a reputable store.
If that hadn’t worked I would have posted this up asking for help.

I also posted this up on my FB page .. a friend who owns a small engine repair shop said to always check the lash and if it’s good then it likely a broken spring for the compression release dog on the cam.

I assumed I had bought a bad battery last year so I went with a new one from a reputable store.
If that hadn’t worked I would have posted this up asking for help.

I also posted this up on my FB page .. a friend who owns a small engine repair shop said to always check the lash and if it’s good then it likely a broken spring for the compression release dog on the cam.
I would consider checking the valve adjustment after a run period just to make sure you got em where you want em. There might be cold/hot specs to help you as well.
Nice work