Internal Fins on side cover mods?

Hello all.
Not being an engineer, I am curious if the internal fins on the side cover of my 5 HP Briggs are actually helping or hindering the flow of oil?
To me, the untrained, it seems like the flow would be better if some areas of the fins were shaved or drilled.
Do they catch dirt and grime where the "V's meet up?

Yes COVID-19 has provided a bit too much time for "thinking".....;)

Thanks for any feed back.
Stay safe and Healthy!

T4EM

DaddyJohn

Oil inside the Briggs 5hp doesn’t “flow” so much as get flung around by the oil dipper on the end of the rod. Not had one apart before, but assume that’s what’s going on in there... That being the case, the inner detailing of the engine’s side cover probably has a negligible effect on effective oil distribution. I guess?:D

Oil inside the Briggs 5hp doesn’t “flow” so much as get flung around by the oil dipper on the end of the rod. Not had one apart before, but assume that’s what’s going on in there... That being the case, the inner detailing of the engine’s side cover probably has a negligible effect on effective oil distribution. I guess?:D
Daddyjohn. Thanks for weighing in on this. Much appreciated

old shed finds

The webbing you are referring to is actually support for the bearing boss, if you remove them from the sidecover or the block, it will be prone to cracking.
Right on the money... That's why they are there. .it would surprise you the strength of extra casting boost up the strength.