Intro and Arctic Cat questions.

Hi, longtime lurker here. Finally decided to register as I have been more serious in pursuit of a new bike.

I am now in college, and have been riding since age 6. My first bike was a 96 PW80. Since then, I have owned many bikes, including:

2000 XR100
1992 Kawasaki KDX200
1996 Yamaha Blaster
2000 Honda 400EX
1984 Honda XL200

The allure of the older bikes always seem to reel me in. Out of everything, I still have the KDX and just picked up the XL.

Basically, I am looking for a mini bike to take to the lake lake with me and such. I originally considered a newer XR50, but a friend recently picked up a 72 ST90 and got me hooked. Since then, I have been looking at Z50s and the like.

I found a 71 Arctic Cat Whisker for sale locally. It seems to be in pretty good condition, and has recently been refurbished, but is missing the motor.

I would assume being a Sachs unit, they are pretty hard to find. Depending on condition, how much would something like this be worth? Furthermore, what type of motor could be installed in leiu of the Sachs? Could I use a modern XR50 motor or 'knockoff', or even possibly a Honda GX motor? I work at a local bike shop which used to sell mopeds and mini bikes. We have an in-crate ~50cc Solex motor, and a few similar things, so I have quite a few units to try out.

Just wondering if it is worth the hour or so drive to pick up, or if I need to keep searching.

I contemplated buying that same bike you are talking about in Clinton Township, but I decided not to because I didnt want to bastardize the thing and put in any engine I had laying around, Its a very nice bike and really is great for somebody who has a correct engine for it. I seriously was going to buy it but I just didnt have the heart to weld in a engine plate and slap in a Briggs or Tecumseh and ruin a somewhat rare machine you dont hardly ever see any of.

But hey, if the guy dont care and you dont care about it being origional then I say go for it, its a great roller start. Im sure its probably costly to buy the origional engine for it and thats probably a big reason why the guy gave up on the project.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I am heading to the Ypsi show Sunday to scope a few things out. I actually work @ Al Petri's bike shop in Lincoln Park and have a few vintage Schwinns they're selling for me.

Just wondering, have you seen the bike in person? It seems I could get like an 88cc Lifan and throw it in. I have a two-stroke Suzuki 4.5hp snowblower engine sitting in my garage too, but I'd most likely need a TAV and some other things?

Most importantly, would a Z50 or similar be able to haul my 6'4", 250lb frame around at any sort of decent pace? Like I said, I am not looking to do anything extreme, just something for fun and to teach friends how to ride on.

I appreciate the response.

I have never seen the bike in person, just photos, he is close to my house, but like I said, I just decided against going the route of welding in a engine plate and all thats involved in that. It looks too nice to do that. Plus I figured by the time I bought the bike, did all that work I could have just saved my money and bought a different model arctic cat that has a typical briggs or tecumseh setup and belt drive and be far happier with that and its origional too.

As far as your weight, thats all in your engine power, gearing and a torque converter setup would help out too. If you use a 3 horse or one of those small chinese 2 strokes you wont have very good power or take off power at all. I'm 250 myself and I have a chinese mini for my boys that I ride them on and it moves me, doesnt take off very fast but it does still pull. It goes about 25 maybe 30 at best. Up a hill it would have trouble for sure. Get a 5 hp or better and dont gear to hight for speed or get a torq-a-verter setup and you will have no problem doing what you want to do with it.

I could take a look at the bike if Im in the area if you like. I'll have to call him and see where he lives exactly and take a peak. Its looks very nice though. To me that way it sits is more suited for someone that has a correct engine to slap into it and make a nice origional bike. I never see those hardly ever, now if it was a ruttman or lil indian that are somewhat a dime a dozen around here Id say hack it up and put in any engine and combo you desire. But thats just my honest opinion.

Thanks for the Honesty, I appreciate it. I'm just going to keep an eye out for a Mini Trail or similar.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of Chinese bike did you pick up? Ideally, I'd like to spend maybe $500 or so +/- a few dollars on a running bike. Something that I can ride around and not be afraid of something happening, but I love the look of the older bikes. Having owned 3 Hondas personally, with my friend having a few, I have always been a fan of Honda reliability. Not to mention, the fact that I can pick up a engine for a few dollars and keep the original in a crate is pretty appealing to me. I also have a few motors sitting around the garage waiting for something to go into.

Are there any places in the metro area who deal with mini bikes and similar? I am not too far from Studz hardware, just looking to expand my horizons a bit. I live downriver, actually, so I am not far from Toledo.

That mini chopper id let go for cheap and I mean cheap! I was going to stuff in a 8 horse briggs into it but I dont really have the time. Its a project no doubt but it's a roller.