Introduction - and Cat mini-bike questions..

..and story.

HI there, I’m new here and my name is Greg.

I’ve decided to dig out my old Cat mini-bike I got when I was 11 years old and put it back together, as it has been stored in pieces since around 1995, after I rescued it from my dad's rotting shed.

I don’t know anything about it other than it is a Cat. So, I’ve registered here to learn what I’ve got, where to get stuff for it, and so forth.
I’ve already learned a great deal since I registered a week ago, just by perusing the great pictures people have posted. Based on the pictures others have posted, the best I can tell is that I have some version of a metallic gold colored model 400

I’ll start with some background on the bike and the state it was in when it was given to me, along with an old riding tale:

In 1970, while living on Dover AFB base housing in Dover DE, my older sister’s new boyfriend gave the mini-bike to me with a blown-up Tecumseh 4H.P. engine. Aside from having a blown-up engine, there were a few parts missing such as ALL brake components, engine cut-off switch, and a chain guard. Other than the bad engine, no brakes whatsoever, and no convinient means to kill the engine, I believe the only other thing wrong was a broken throttle cable.

I had a 3 H.P. Briggs from my primitive Go-Kart that I would swap back and forth between mini-bike to go-kart. I remember trying to repair the ball-end on the throttle cable just so I could ride it and it was quite a while before I actually got a new throttle cable.

One time I was desperate to ride the mini-bike and the throttle cable repairs weren’t going so well, so I had the brilliant idea to put a spring on the carb so that the spring pulled the throttle wide open. I attached the strongest string/cord I had available (which as I recall, was some cotton kite string), and attached it to the throttle so that when I pulled the string it would bring the engine down to an idle, and when I wanted to accelerate I would just loosen my grip on the string and let the spring pull the throttle towards wide open.

This worked for a day or two until the day I was sitting on my brake-less mini-bike with the engine running while holding my “throttle-string” showing off my “stringenuity” to a neighbor kid. Well, as you’ve probably been speculating, the string broke and having no brakes, I had no choice but to hang on and ride to a solution. I went from sitting at an idle to full-throttle and rode two 15ft diameter circles before I aimed it at our neighbors chicken-wire fence, which worked really well as a mini-bike catch-net, as it stopped the bike handily without damaging the mini bike, but I did have to pay for some chicken wire though.

I’ll have some pictures coming in the next day or so to help identify, but for now I thought I’d ask you guys the following questions:

1. Are there any number stampings on the frame that can identify the exact model of the mini-bike? I found some numbers stamped into the engine plate that read 9037763

2. Are all Cat mini-bikes “Muskins?”

3. What does the H.P.E. abbreviate?

Anyways, thanks in advance, and I hope I didn’t bore you too much with my long-winded post.

~greg~

Last edited:
Yes thanks, but I missed a few of those somehow.

Based on the 1970 ad/s in the thread you linked, mine matches the red 400X, except mine is not red, but gold.

So I suppose the numbers on the engine plate are a serial number or possibly a part number for the engine plate.

I just dug out the forks and the "Cat" sticker is pretty much gone except for an X on the lower right portion of the sticker.

How about a Cat christmas tree?

Welcome aboard. Post some pics of that Tiger.
Wow..now you got me looking at my Christmas tree box. You really think that is the same company?

Anyways here are some pictures of its current state.

What you see is all I have but the main components are there. Many of the parts that are needed and/or missing are parts that are usually worn out anyways; such as the seat, chain and sprocket. The sprocket is so worn that the last time I had it running in the late 1970s the chain would just slip and jump teeth on the rear sprocket. Years ago I threw out the seat, but I saved the foam and plywood base dimensions of the seat so I could build one and have it upholstered.

I know it needs a lot, but it is a start.....right? Does anyone know if the disc brake parts are available in reproduction or NOS? I need the lever, cable, caliper and pads. Also need the cut-off switch and mount for it.

I know those things are probably a lot to ask for and I'll probably have to improvise with a drum brake set-up and homemade kill switch set-up. I'll come up with a complete "parts needed list" soon and if any of you guys see or know of anything I've missed I appreciate any input.
Thanks - Greg

Last edited:
Welcome, looks like you have the key parts for a great restoration.

Original disk brakes are next to impossible to find, for my CAT 350ss Clone I'm using "Limtco Westbury NY" brakes. They are period correct. The brakes are solid aluminum, 1-5/8 inches center-to-center of bolt mounts, 1 inch diameter round brake puck pads, I found my brake set on ebay. Getting a replacement sprocket for your rear wheel could also be a challenge, CAT's bolt patter is different then most.

You can see what the brakes look like on my thread http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/27095-cat-350ss-clone-1970-restoration.html. Take the time to look through the threads on this site you will be amazed on the information listed, such as your rear sprocket, seat, and how to best restore your CAT.

Again, welcome!

thats a nice bike you have there. i collect cats(well you could call it that) and i might have a sprocket for you just send me a PM (private message) you got one of the hardest to find parts the fenders!! this is a amazing site and you will learn every moving piece of that bike on this site just be very observiant. go into my photos and check out my 350ss cat i redid and the other 300TT i am doing now. also about the seat you can throw those dimentions away and give kbs8ball (kenny) a PM he makes outstanding seats for a great price and they look like they came right off the cat production line there amazing just look at the seat on my 350ss thats one he did for me. also another great place for some bearings and axles is the OMBwarhouse they have great parts and prices to. you need to make a build thread on the bike in the project logs section. and the most important thing is ASK QUESTIONS!!!!! there are tons of knowlagable people on here that will help you. have fun with your build and if ya get around to it send me a PM i might just have a sprocket for you

Dodge is absolutely right about fenders.. The wheels with hub caps too.. Rechromed those things are worth a fortune.. I would dip all of that chrome, maybe locate or remake a chain guard first so you can dunk it all at once..

The sprocket is not hard to find... All you need to do is go to the Tractor Supply Company or somewhere that sells NEW sprockets for 20 bucks, then just special order one with the correct pitch and tooth count and bolt pattern. :hammer:

Calipers are harder but like they told ya earlier.. there are LOTS of manufacturers and they are all fairly close to the same unit... Just watch Evilbay and pick one up for 20 bucks and improvise it.. :thumbsup:

That is a beauty of a bike.. when you get that far, KBS8ball is the seat God on here.. He's made at least one of every seat there ever has been and they look perfect...:bowdown:

Yes.

Also the parent company to Cat was actually a concrete company believe it or not.
So they were pretty diversified.

OK "INJUNTOM".....err, uhh, "Pontiac Guy". I purposefully took the pictures of my Cat right in front of that 47 Pontiac hood emblem to get you're attention. I thought it might pique your curiosity. I do believe we have other interests in common.

So they were pretty diversified.

OK "INJUNTOM".....err, uhh, "Pontiac Guy". I purposefully took the pictures of my Cat right in front of that 47 Pontiac hood emblem to get you're attention. I thought it might pique your curiosity. I do believe we have other interests in common.

Oops! I must be slipping. Actually I didn't really look at the pics closely. I've seen a million cats. Always like to see pics in case it's something I've never seen before.

Where's the rest of the car?

Oops! I must be slipping. Actually I didn't really look at the pics closely. I've seen a million cats. Always like to see pics in case it's something I've never seen before.

Where's the rest of the car?
The hood emblem was a gift from an old boss of mine; he picked it up at a swap meet.

Should I put it on my 68 Firebird..lol..the underside contour actually fits the hood contour perfectly (side profile).

I've only owned one classic pontiac and that is the 68 Firebird which was my first car. It is currently in the middle of a frame-off resto...very slow going btw.

I've looked at some of your Pontiacs and thats quite a collection you have there. I especially like the 37. Do you race any of them?

Throughout all of my 20s I was into drag racing and driving the car to the track. No aftermarket heads or nitrous.
YouTube - 10 second 68 Firebird Sacramento Raceway 1987

The hood emblem was a gift from an old boss of mine; he picked it up at a swap meet.

Should I put it on my 68 Firebird..lol..the underside contour actually fits the hood contour perfectly (side profile).

I've only owned one classic pontiac and that is the 68 Firebird which was my first car. It is currently in the middle of a frame-off resto...very slow going btw.

I've looked at some of your Pontiacs and thats quite a collection you have there. I especially like the 37. Do you race any of them?

Throughout all of my 20s I was into drag racing and driving the car to the track. No aftermarket heads or nitrous.
YouTube - 10 second 68 Firebird Sacramento Raceway 1987

Wow. I've seen that video before. I don't race any of mine right now. The LeMans has to have a roll before it can go to the track because it's a convertible, and I'm not going to put one in it, so it's just a street car. The import guys ruined the street racing scene, so you can't do that without fear of losing your car.

I plan to build the '69 T/A clone as a race car but it's a back burner project.

This is true! I live about 3 minutes away from the original building in Colton,Ca
That's interesting, what's in the building now?.

In 1967/68 I lived in Colton on Mt Vernon Ave between E Lemon and E Olive. That was the house I lived in when my dad was sent to Vietnam (Danang AB) for a year from Oct 67 to Oct 68. I was 7-8 years old and I remember seeing him off the day he left, I also remember seeing a lot of Hells Angels bikers when I lived there, but they weren’t riding Cats.

Last edited:
thats a nice bike you have there. i collect cats(well you could call it that) and i might have a sprocket for you just send me a PM (private message) you got one of the hardest to find parts the fenders!! this is a amazing site and you will learn every moving piece of that bike on this site just be very observiant. go into my photos and check out my 350ss cat i redid and the other 300TT i am doing now. also about the seat you can throw those dimentions away and give kbs8ball (kenny) a PM he makes outstanding seats for a great price and they look like they came right off the cat production line there amazing just look at the seat on my 350ss thats one he did for me. also another great place for some bearings and axles is the OMBwarhouse they have great parts and prices to. you need to make a build thread on the bike in the project logs section. and the most important thing is ASK QUESTIONS!!!!! there are tons of knowlagable people on here that will help you. have fun with your build and if ya get around to it send me a PM i might just have a sprocket for you
Thanks Dodge for the info - I appreciate the offer and I may look you up on a sprocket.

The seat man sounds like the way to go - what's a ball park figure on a seat.

It's early in my search but I haven't been able to find my front axle and nuts (for the mini-bike :wink:) so I'll check out the OldMiniBikes warehouse.

Last edited:
Thanks Dodge for the info - I appreciate the offer and I may look you up on a sprocket.

The seat man sounds like the way to go - what's a ball park figure on a seat.

It's early in my search but I haven't been able to find my front axle and nuts (for the mini-bike :wink:) so I'll check out the OldMiniBikes warehouse.
the seats are usally 65 shipped and up depends on how fancy you want it and thats a great price considering all the work that he puts into them and as far as the axles go to lowes or home depo and buy a 8 inch long bolt and a locknut and theres your new axle and it only cost 3 bucks!

A Dana 60 in a GM:eek:hmy:
Yep, a Dana 60 from a 1969 Ford F-100 with 5-lug semi-float axles. No aftermarket axles or parts of any kind and no failures of any kind with hundreds of low 11 second/high 10 second passes. Axle flange-to-flange measurement on this truck unit was only 3/8" wider than the stock Firebird rearend.

A 12 bolt would have worked.
:confused: :no: Not a stock one.

On a stock 12-bolt, axle breakage is an issue and with the stock c-clip axle retention, breaking an axle is not a pretty thing...especially to your quarter panels or anyone/thing in the path of a wheel with an axle attached to it coming at them at high speed.

Last edited: