Is it bad to use a offset chain link?

I have a yerf dog go kart with a heavily modded predator 212cc on it and the best way I can get the chain to be tight is to use a offset link. I already have one and I'm using a size 40 chain

by offset link,do you mean a half link?
if so,tack a tiny weld on the pins backside.
they use a tiny cotter pin that isnt really that strong.
i use one on the 4 wheeler build,its holding up so far.

thoughts,this is a go cart,why cant you run a shim on the motor plate?
set the chain up pick up the motor with the chain on have someone measure it or stick something under it n measure it yourself.
thats your shim height.:shrug: problem solved...?

actually Edit.
i bet i know your problem to begin with.
yerf dog go cart and you are running Straight clutch chain to axle correct?
it Should have a Tav on it and that Tav Sits on a Plate thats around a half inch Higher than the engine plate.

Last edited:
Yes a half link. And I've heard they are weaker but ludicrous's fix is a good idea but I only have a oxy acetylene welder. I like the shim idea too I was just thinking If I would have enough room on the bolts to do that. And no the tav is broken it just the motor on a pmr adjustable plate for a doodle bug:cool:, which I already slid the engine forward on and it fell off still.

i use them all the time. Only thing you need to watch for is put the cotter pins on whichever side has more clearance. smacking on stuff will damage them. but they seem to hold up no worse than a regular link. Thats another thing. you should run a regular link aswell as the half link so you dont have to take out the pins when you have to get the chain off