is it worth it?

Greetings and welcome..i figure with your buget the engine choice will be what money you've got left after all the odds n ends needed to complete the bike

gbabins1

I think you'd be close, but I think you could make it work... hard to beat a $50 frame if all the welds are good and no cracks.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

45t

It looks Like a great project. I've started out with less than that for a build. A clutch would be cheaper than a TC and you can find horizontal shaft engines cheaper if you look for them off of edgers, snow blowers, tillers and generators. Get a band brake set up from OldMiniBikes Warehouse for around $50-$60. you can pick up a seat here from Karen. It may be hard to stay within the $400 range for the build, but remember the fun is in the build and it'll be so much worth it when you get it done and take it for a spin. :thumbsup:

Most commonly purchased replacement engine has to be the Harbor Freight Predator 212; I think most people opt for the Hemi (Item #: 60363); it's often on sale for $100, thus the popularity. For wheels and a disc brake, I would suggest Coleman CT100U or Monster Moto MM-B80 parts, whichever is lower priced; they are made for tubeless tires, which I prefer. They are available on the manufacturers' websites. You can get a CVT (torque converter) on eBay for $57 w/ free shipping. Due to the parallel upper and lower tubes, that frame would be easy to stretch, should you be inclined to do so. I'd jump on it, before someone else does. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
For a DECENT bike/build you will be blowing your $ 400.00 budget. Curious why you put your location as "in a tomato"? If you start buying parts from members here it will help for them to know where you are located for picking up parts or shipping costs.
Michael

You'd better open up your budget a tad , $110 engine ( Predator , vintage much more ) , clutch $30 , high quality chain $30 , seat $50-$80 ( unless you are really skilled or make a P.O.S. one ) , let's see , throttle assembly with grips $25 , brake $50 , wheels , tires , tubes and sprocket $175 , kill switch $5 , clutch/chain guard $30-$50 , misc hardware $25-40 , I can keep going ! Bottom line is if you don't have a bunch of parts laying around you can not build a nice bike for $400 , not possible , wait we didn't talk about paint or powder coating , welcome to the fun !

Last edited:
If it's a first build, I'd recommend getting one that is more complete than what is shown there. Get a complete roller, or a complete, but beat, bike. Tear it apart, replace everything that needs replacing (bearings, brakes, cables, levers, clutch, engine, etc), paint it and reassemble.
It's a LOT easier to do that than try figuring out all the little odds and ends, like wheel spacers, bearing spacers, trying to find wheels that will work on your bike...it goes on and on.
Once you've built some bikes it is easier to start with a frame and end up with a bike. It'd be a stretch to think you could get either of those bikes completed for $400.00.

BTW, welcome to OldMiniBikes!

Joe