Is It Worth Saving?

I got this engine for free and had planned to use it on a minibike project this summer but after looking more closely at it I don't know if its worth saving. The valves are both rusted and it didnt come with the side blower cover so I don' know hp or any details. I would really like to still use this engine but need some opinions first.

Any details about the engine are also much appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

part of my fun is making it run again after it is hosed!

Looks like it should be an easy fix for valves, finding the cover is easy!

Better look inside though!

well missing the head is never a good thing but i have saved some really bad ones from the melter . is it stuck ? there is the first issue are the valves loose in the guides like flop side to side ? that can be a pain it will burn oil like a foger if there gone to far hows the cylinder? if thats all scored to hell your looking at needing to do a hone or bore over .
whats the guts look like , cranks rods and all that are easy to fix . bearings not so much bit more work to rebush a block . but ya i would say its worth a look to save it .

for fun a few years back i got a 1961 3 hp i think it was . stuck tight as a drum full to the mark with water in the case . took me 3 days to get it apart using a pipe wrench to turn the crank and some fire in the bore . but it did come apart cleaned it up swapped the crank and cam for some less trashed ones different piston from a parts block . got great compression and spark but havent got it to run . wrong flywheel on there is my guess . but it should go with a little more work . so check yours out it maybe a good block with a little help , or spare parts to get the next one going :hammer::grind:

Well it did come with a head I just took if off for the picture. I removed both valves but am not sure what to be looking for a far as wear goes in the cylinder and places. I still am unsure what hp this engine is?

Thanks for the help though
Nick

oldfatguy

it doesn't look that bad, clean it up and get it running. I have saved engines that were in far worse shape then that. In the picture is the original engine cover from a complete h60 engine that I bought on e-bay for 10 bucks. I looked so rough that no one else bid on it. Today that engine runs great and it is a ball bearing crank too. So as long as your engine wasn't run without oil or something it should be still good enough to run on a mini bike. Some of those yellow painted engines were industrial engines so it way have a steel bore and maybe a ball bearing crank. If it does it is definitely worth saving