Is this a Bonanza chopper?

Yes, truckster52, the top tubes are supposed to be straight on a Bonanza CR500, but these aren't and this doesn't look like a modification, thats the perplexing thing. As for the tag, no tag and no rivet holes, just one hole on the far right of the front of the motor plate. Thanks for the tip on the seat and the forks, I know I'll be paying a lot for the reproduction forks... Whatever! I'm committed!

Hmmm... why would you want a motor that LOOKS like the motor you'd really like to have? Does the clone Honda run as well as the genuine Honda? I have my sights set on a Robin Subaru EX 17... That is what I will put in this thing... I read a review by this very thoughtful and fair guy who put one in a goKart:

the subaru motors are very strong motors i like them alot i had an ex17 great motor just no performance parts on the market . sorry only headers and thats it if you want it stock great choice

I think the Subaru engine is a clone of the Wisconsin / Robin engines. They are made by Fuji Heavy Industries. Seem to be good engines for light industrial uses.
Steve :scooter:

Definitely bonanza parts!

You definitely have the right sissy bar, and except for the bend in the top tubes, the frame is a CR 500 because of the extra mounting holes for the Hodaka Ace 100 motor and the jackshaft set up. I am the original owner of a CR -400 and I had been watching for frames and parts to build a 500 as a second bike, but couldn't pass up a rare Taco Super Trail 100 to restore when it came available. I am working on a hodaka motor, 2 Briggs 5Hp, and have a second Tecumseh HS 40 waiting to choose for the Taco. Anyway, I'm very familiar with the Bonanza as I just finished restoring my CR -400 that I personally knew was bone stock. Dave Miller has beautiful restoration parts including the fiberglass panned seat, front forks, brake sprockets, etc. The 5inch drum brake sprocket and the wider rear wheel rim and the spacers to make up that assembly is hard to find, yet the 5 inch drum brake unit is readily available at Azusa Engineering. Wheels are hard to find too, as are Carlisle universal trials tread pattern in the 530 x 450 X 6 inch rear tire and the 410 X 350 X 6 inch front tire. They can be found in a Cheng Shin chinese brand with very similar tread new. Hunt Wilde grips were used on the footpegs and are available, but the 7/8 inch twist throttle is a little hard to find original. It seems to have been used on Rupps too, and there are plenty of new 7/8 twist throttles with the soft waffle grips and are called a lot of different styles like "Gran Turismo." Rechroming forks, sissy bars, and even throttle castings is pretty expensive out here. I'd say restore it like a CR-400 or 500, use the jackshaft as it was an option, and if you must, use the 6 inch astro wheels from Azusa, use long bolts and spacers and bolt a 5inch combination drum brake/sprocket to use until original parts are found. There are good used or rebuilt HS-40's if you watch for them or contact RuppParts West. All of the tips to deal with the Walbro carb can be found, as well as solid state ignition can give you a reliable ride.

This is a galaxy trail hoarse with a bonanza front wheel and bonanza sissy bar. I saw one today for sale for $150 with the the original sissy bar very pitted and very rusty. But you could still read the manufacturer sticker on it It was yellow with that wider frame.

Oh all you out in byer land FYI there is a guy who ran a bonanza with rupp grasshopper front end on ebay I was high bidder he pulled it off of auction the last day. He re ran it again and I won the auction. 6days after the pament cleared it should have been at my front door. not far to ship. 3 days max. He called on the 6th morning with a story it was stolen out of his garage. When it should have been at my front door 3 days earlyer. These people make bad business FYI

george3

do you have pics. how much did you win it for? why did you bring up a post that is 1 year old for this? you could of just posted the info. show a pic. of the bike that got away.

Agree with other posters... looks like a Bonanza with the engine plate and jack shaft mounts, but the bend in the top frame rail is perplexing as well as the lack of ID plate and mounting holes.

Kenny makes very nice seats... I've had two of 'em and both are excellent.

mardyn