Is this briggs worth rebuilding in your opinion?

Hey, Im new to small engines & i really want to learn to fix them up & get them running. I have this briggs that i got as an extra in a deal. it is Model 80202 type 1101-01 code 82071903. I was going to semi-rebuild it or at least try to get it running. I am starting to think it is not worth it due to how many parts it will probably need. The crank case has a small crack in it shown in the second picture, but it does not leak oil so i dont think its a full on crack. The wiring is weird & it might need a new coil as i think its getting a weak spark. On top of that, once its running, i would want to paint it & clean any rust off. Im starting to think maybe its not worth it. Im just learning so im scared to dump money into parts while not being sure what it needs & doesnt need. Do you guys have any recommendations on whether or not this would be a good engine to rebuild for the learning experience, or just find a different engine in better shape to take apart and rebuild (then save this one for either parts or rebuild once i have more experience)? IMG_20170710_145630015.jpg IMG_20170710_145659214.jpg IMG_20170710_150123510.jpg IMG_20170710_150132860.jpg

Last edited:
To truly rebuild one you must get the briggs tools including the bit/cutter that removes the valve guides and replace them, really worth buying the tools if you plan to do more plus you can sell em especially if you buy them right. I see em on Ebay sometimes. The carb is not hard but really study the threads because the pickup tubes and passages have to be cleaned. I'd think an ultrasonic cleaner might be best but chemtool dip works too. Not a rocket ship motor, you can do it if you set your mind to it. I have a briggs small engine class textbook/manual, they are available.

chrisr

Outlaw has given some great suggestions and if you like the Briggs, you can find 5hp motors on broken tiller/rototillers on CL for 40 or less if your motor doesn't work out. You can't beat the Briggs to learn on and you can put them on many different rides as bone stock, mild or wild.

To truly rebuild one you must get the briggs tools including the bit/cutter that removes the valve guides and replace them, really worth buying the tools if you plan to do more plus you can sell em especially if you buy them right. I see em on Ebay sometimes. The carb is not hard but really study the threads because the pickup tubes and passages have to be cleaned. I'd think an ultrasonic cleaner might be best but chemtool dip works too. Not a rocket ship motor, you can do it if you set your mind to it. I have a briggs small engine class textbook/manual, they are available.

Harquebus

Is that a crack or casting flash?

If it's a crack and it penetrates into the crankcase, how does one go about repairing that?