is this salvageable? Cylinder Gouge

I try starting my engine today, and its frozen. :censure:

so I open it up, and find the cylinder wall all torn up. so I but some oil on top of the piston, and it freed it up. maybe this is due to no oil flow?

I think the rings are to blame - or is it no oil flow. But my question is, can I hone this block?
or should I have to bore it? or is it just done?

thanks for the heads up.

MB165

That cannot be cleaned up with a hone, it needs bored. Have it measured and then youll know what oversize it needs. More than likely your gonna need more than just a top end.

pete

oldfatguy

just smooth it up with a hone and run it, I have a briggs with a deeper score then that. I had to take a curved wood carving chisel to cut off the burr before I could hone it. The guy at the lawn mower shop said that the engine was no good but it's still running 20 years later.If it runs and doesn't smoke too bad then don't worry about it. The only thing that can kill an engine is if the crank rod journal is really scored and worn .

MB165

You could also see if some +.005" chrome rings are available. Briggs doesnt recommend honing for those rings but with that scoring id give it a quick hone with fine stones.

What could have caused this? No oil? Or a broken ring? It froze up on a couple of pulls from the rope. And a lol oil freed up the piston.... Do I have an oil flow issue? And how much does it cost to bore out 30 over?

Most of the time dirt causes cylinder scoring which leads to oil burning.
Eventually most of the oil will burn up and parts stop moving.

The cost to rebore would be a little less than what you could get a new engine block for.
When you rebore, you still have to check the valve guides and seats to make sure you get good compression.

Oldsalt

From what I have seen that engine was ran without adequate oil. As noted above, it may need more than just the top end rebuilt. Hope it doesn't but I think it calls for a really careful inspection of the crank and etc. before considering boring a case that may have a worn out flywheel side main bearing.

It real hard to get cool bore engine bored honed and etched properly.

Iron bores are still the prefered material for a reason.

Jessie is right actualy......

I have re ringed these types of engines before but they never lasted like when they were new.
Sometimes wierd things happened like they ran excessively hot durring break in.

I didn't have much luck and since clones are cheap I would not bother.

They CAN be full and not get adequate oil, if the dipper is broken off the rod cap.. I've seen em do it before... Most likely that damage is is from eating dust and dirt and debris..