It's alive!

Our first mini that got us hooked is this one.

The engine Is an older Techumseh model 35 which I believe is a 3 1/2 HP but had had nice torque and power for such a small engine. after we got it home we took off the carb and cleaned because the tank was rusty and after that we couldn't get it to run more than a lap and most times it would start with starter fluid then die. I think we screwed up the fragile wires to the gov and linkage and we tried different connections. He has a Champion engine it the bike now and likes the 6 1/2 HP power But I'm trying to get him to get the old school look back .

So today we took the gov out to eliminated the problem and it worked! The linkage is all the same but now it doesn't care, soooo we put it in my Cat just to see if it would run more than a few laps. >>>

SONOVA :censure: That little engine SCREAMS! I can't believe a 3.5hp can push me that well off the line and I have lots of top end that I didn't want to try yet. Are these Techumsehs that good or was there work done to it?

Now the kid is willing to put it "back". :thumbsup: Only problem is it's got no choke and it's takes more work to start it cold without starter fluid. Should I make a choke or what? Now to find one like that for my Cat's!

Last edited:
Hey GTO

The H35 is a 3.5hp. Good little engine. I have one on my Bird Drover and it pulls good! What happend to the choke on the carb? It should have one. Got any close up pics of the carb?

Josh

kawtoy

My Tec H40 is doing the same thing. I am at Mid Ohio right now and tried to ride it around a bit. It would go for about 2 minutes, then die. It would start right back up then die again after a minute or so. I know it is now running out of fuel. How did you take the gov out? I need to fix the head gasket as well but maybe getting rid of the gov would help with some of my problems.

My Tec H40 is doing the same thing. I am at Mid Ohio right now and tried to ride it around a bit. It would go for about 2 minutes, then die. It would start right back up then die again after a minute or so. I know it is now running out of fuel. How did you take the gov out? I need to fix the head gasket as well but maybe getting rid of the gov would help with some of my problems.
My problem was the bent wires that connected the linkage to the Gov but if you want to remove the gov,,,,

Remove spark plug wire (for safety) Take off your clutch and remove chain, Drain all the oil, then take the side cover off slipping it over your shaft. On the inside of the cover (on the cover) is a plastic gear,,, remove all of that and don't forget the washer at the end. While your at it clean the botton of the engine out but be carefull the to move or crank anything. you can leave the Gov lever bar as is and use the same linkage.

If you are getting a head gasket, you might as well get the side cover gasket also but if it in good shape you'll be ok. GTO

Kowtoy heres a pic of the Gov parts, on little clip is missing in the pic (there are two).

Josh, heres a not so good pic of the carb with no choke. (factory) :doah:

delray

little off the subject gto, linkage where your throttle cable hooks up to. is a factory linkage tecumseh installed for minibikes only. the hair pin style spring(i beleive thats what they call that type of spring?) is a died give away:thumbsup:
you may all ready know this,but its just something to look for on most early 70's minibikes if they have it. so there is a good chance that your engine is the original motor that came with that minibike:thumbsup:
:scooter:.....................

Hey GTO

Delray is correct! Its an original minibike engine. But i dont think the carb is original. You should try to find another carb for it (with a choke)

Josh

little off the subject gto, linkage where your throttle cable hooks up to. is a factory linkage tecumseh installed for minibikes only. the hair pin style spring(i beleive thats what they call that type of spring?) is a died give away:thumbsup:
you may all ready know this,but its just something to look for on most early 70's minibikes if they have it. so there is a good chance that your engine is the original motor that came with that minibike:thumbsup:
:scooter:.....................
I suspected it was all original judging by the even rust. (ha ha) Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Hey GTO

Delray is correct! Its an original minibike engine. But i dont think the carb is original. You should try to find another carb for it (with a choke)

Josh
Josh, I've seen a few guys talk about the same Techumseh carb/engins and one guy put a small hole in the air cover so he could blast some starter fluid in on cold starts. :doah: I think it might be original.

Thanks for the info. RuppParts said he was going to bring a head gasket here to Mid Ohio but he never told me where his vendors booth is. There are 1200 vendors here so he will not be easy to find. I looked around today but I did not see all the vendors. I am sure he is here somewhere.