I've made a decal of one of my minibikes

Li'l Popeye

Hello,
I have recently purchased a Chinese vinyl cutter and have sold my Roland vinyl cutter. The Chinese cutter came with software and works with my windows 10 computer, where as the Roland did not.
I took a picture of 1 of my minibikes and after some editing with free software programs like Gimp and Inkscape, I got a file that was acceptable for me to cut.
After the cutting is done, you need to remove the material that is not needed. So more details, means more peeling...

This started as a black sheet of vinyl, a lot of peeling has been done after the vinyl cutter was done.

The decal is now on 1 of my kitchen cabinets.
A lot of work, but I'm very happy with the result.

Hello,
I have recently purchased a Chinese vinyl cutter and have sold my Roland vinyl cutter. The Chinese cutter came with software and works with my windows 10 computer, where as the Roland did not.
I took a picture of 1 of my minibikes and after some editing with free software programs like Gimp and Inkscape, I got a file that was acceptable for me to cut.
After the cutting is done, you need to remove the material that is not needed. So more details, means more peeling...

This started as a black sheet of vinyl, a lot of peeling has been done after the vinyl cutter was done.

The decal is now on 1 of my kitchen cabinets.
To be able to stick that on one of your KITCHEN cabinets....you must not be married!! - LOL
Michael

Last edited:

Li'l Popeye

Cool what is the feature called that makes it look like a line drawing? I thought of doing something like that for tee shirts but im not smart enough. yet
Not a particular feature, but I used the free programs Gimp and Inkscape.
In Gimp I used a feature called posterize. Saved the rasterfile and opened it in Inkscape to vectorize it. To cut a decal, you need a vector image, not a raster image. Exported it to a png raster file. Opened it again with Gimp and (there were still to much details) put some filters over it, to get less details, but still keep it recognizable. Back to Inkscape to vectorize it. Still to much details... so back and forth between Gimp and Inkscape a couple of times untill I thought the vector image was good enough. Some people might do it in 1 shot, but for me it's a learning proces.
The .svg (Scalable Vector Graphic) file was imported into the Signmaster cut program and the vinyl was cut.
Then I had to peel the vinyl and still had a lot of tiny details... but I managed.