j57little's - Roper Rebuild - (Vintage Class)

On my build -off Roper last year I went with 8" wheels so I took my kickstand and massaged ( heated and beat ) the lower bend perfectly straight and then re-bent the foot , a little work but not the hard to do !

Hi Angelo,
Right now I have three options:
1) Cut the long section and weld in a 1-inch extension - easy enough except for the grinding and smoothing
2) Heat and bend as you suggest - great idea - may also smooth out some of the pitting
3) Bend a whole new stand (requires some machining in the top end - out of my league, but being investigated). If this turns out to be feasible it's the best choice for a smooth final product.

One way or another, it will be done on time!

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
I'd go with option #1. But I kinda like to cut, weld and grind...
If you do that, grind points or heavy chamfers in the ends of the pieces before you weld them together. The when you grind the welds smooth
It will still be strong.
Danford1

Last edited:
Thanks Dan,

That was my first thought too - option 1, but since I don't weld and will have to get someone to do it, it might not be the best way. One thing about the second option is that I might be able to get it hot enough with map gas and then I could do it myself. I don't have acetylene, so map gas has to work or this option is no good. And finally, Mr. Pat educated me on the machined upper end - you might have seen the nice job he did bending his own kick stand. We shall see.

Done!

IMG_1198.JPG
The original Roper wheels were plain, white wheel barrow wheels. They were upgraded.

IMG_1197.JPG
The two speed clutch and band brake.

IMG_1195.JPG
The custom-made rear sprocket.

IMG_1191.JPG
Keeping with the Craftsman theme...

IMG_1193.JPG
Custom-made chain guard.

IMG_1190.JPG
Thanks to everyone for all the great help!

Sears Minibike-5.jpg
Here's the "Before"...

IMG_1189.JPG
...and the "After"...

The project is finished, but I am having trouble uploading the video. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
All I can Say is ..............:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Hey Jack , go to the next post box and look for the little piece of film strip...Icon at the top and almost to the end. Click on it and insert your video.

Last edited:
I was having trouble uploading the file so I made it as short as possible. I found the problem and will post a better video as soon as I can.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IxvsE57yx0[VIDEO]

Last edited: