j57little's - Roper Rebuild - (Vintage Class)

j57little

The springs are actually about an inch longer than original, but I still think there's room on the inner pipes. If you think not, please let me know.

Here's the tubes...

IMG_1146.JPG ,

Here's the springs I plan to use. The left side is attached. The right side is not. In total I think there's still about 3 inches of overlap fully extended. If the springs are too long, in the worst cast I can cut them down. Appreciate your thoughts.

IMG_1030a.jpg

Last edited:
The springs are actually about an inch longer than original, but I still think there's room on the inner pipes. If you think not, please let me know.

Here's the tubes...

View attachment 96518 ,

Here's the springs I plan to use. The left side is attached. The right side is not. In total I think there's still about 3 inches of overlap fully extended. If the springs are too long, in the worst cast I can cut them down. Appreciate your thoughts.

View attachment 96519
I think 3" overlap/engagement is sufficent. Chances are this is going to be
more of a show bike than one you ride hard and put away wet. Like Ike would say "It'll be fine".

Danford1

j57little

Danford1 - You are correct. I'll ride the Roper a few times this summer, then probably store it. I have a vintage Scat Cat that I ride more often. It really needs major restoration, but I don't have to worry about it getting beat up when I ride it.

Thanks for all the much appreciated advice!

Jack

Last edited:

j57little

Buckeye - Yep, I want it to be in show condition. I'll ride it some, but preservation is the goal with this one. Except for the wheels and pipe all the metal is original or at least original spec. The engine is not exactly original, but it is an original HS40 from the era, so it's about as close as I can get. Now if I can find an original Craftsman HS50....

Last edited:

j57little

If anyone has a lead on some Roper front fork springs I would greatly appreciate it - any condition. I have some springs that are a bit longer and I thought would work, but the diameter is about 1/8" too large and won't fit into the cups, so I'm back to the drawing board.

Thanks!
Jack

If anyone has a lead on some Roper front fork springs I would greatly appreciate it - any condition. I have some springs that are a bit longer and I thought would work, but the diameter is about 1/8" too large and won't fit into the cups, so I'm back to the drawing board.

Thanks!
Jack
What is the outside diameter of the needed springs?

Danford1

j57little

Almost there, but still lots of details, such as the minor detail of getting it running. The front springs are too large in diameter and don't fit into the cups, so there's that too. And the kick stand is too short, etc., etc.

IMG_1152HR.jpg

Here's the exact model Roper I had as a kid alongside the current Roper project. So with better wheels, better paint, front springs, two-speed clutch, better pipe and frame-mounted fuel tank I have finally moved up in the world!

Original-Current.jpg

Last edited:

markus

I would not worry about the kickstand until you get the right length springs in the forks, I will say looking at the photo of it on the bench that the stand you have is bent out farther then usual for that version (12501) Looks like it needs be be brought in at the bend at the hinge a little. with both of those factors it probably leans over a little too far.....those bigfoot stands are usually bent up pretty good when I get them in, they catch on stuff easier than the bicycle style ones out on the trails.

Bike looks great with the chrome on the upper forks, nice custom touch :thumbsup:

Markus,

You are correct - it is a 12501 stand that has felt the years, but even if it were perfect and with the right springs as I recall my Roper as a kid leaned pretty hard too. I have a couple of options, but getting the right springs comes first.

Thanks for the advice!

Jack

Thanks Chipper, There were several people on the website who have helped - you for one! The scrub brake you provided really made a big difference. By the way, by the time I'm finished my chain guard will look pretty much like the one you suggested in the first place!

Mr. Pat has also offered great help and advice, Dave Havasu has offered lots of good pointers on paint. Danford 1, OND, buckeye, markus and many others - I really appreciate all the input.

By the way, I am also open to critical input. We learn much more from mistakes so comments on places where I've messed up and don't realize it are also welcome. But you might want to PM me on those items!

Jack

Last edited: