Jack Spitler’s "Double Trouble" 1967 Twin Westbend Bonanza Drag Bike

Stopping by to write what is regrettably the final chapter of this story. I had not heard from Jack in some time and decided to check in on him and was saddened to find out he had passed away last October. It was not unusual to not hear from him for months at a time, but when my Christmas email to him went unanswered I should have known something was amiss.

For those who were lucky enough to meet him and his wife Mary at Windber you will remember what great people they were. I really enjoyed our friendship over the years and I'd like to think the restoration of his old drag bike and his introduction to the OldMiniBikes community brought him some well deserved recognition and helped to invigorate him as he fought off his ailments. I know he was humbled by all the new found attention but at the same time he relished the camaraderie that accompanied it.

If you never had the chance to meet him or read his story, and if you're truly interested in "Old Mini Bikes" and their history, it would serve you well to read over the opening pages of this thread to see what it was all about .

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/jack-spitler-obituary?pid=187058197

I 've always enjoyed your threads and posts ! I've read this thread many times and always end up looking at it again from time to time. I hate to hear about Jack passing .

Thanks for posting

Got to meet Jack & his wife at a couple meets, and buy some kool vintage parts from them - GREAT people! Thanks for posting, KustomKartKid, I had not heard.....

Stopping by to write what is regrettably the final chapter of this story. I had not heard from Jack in some time and decided to check in on him and was saddened to find out he had passed away last October. It was not unusual to not hear from him for months at a time, but when my Christmas email to him went unanswered I should have known something was amiss.

For those who were lucky enough to meet him and his wife Mary at Windber you will remember what great people they were. I really enjoyed our friendship over the years and I'd like to think the restoration of his old drag bike and his introduction to the OldMiniBikes community brought him some well deserved recognition and helped to invigorate him as he fought off his ailments. I know he was humbled by all the new found attention but at the same time he relished the camaraderie that accompanied it.

If you never had the chance to meet him or read his story, and if you're truly interested in "Old Mini Bikes" and their history, it would serve you well to read over the opening pages of this thread to see what it was all about .

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/jack-spitler-obituary?pid=187058197

I'm very sad to here this. It was a pleasure to meet Jack and his wife at Windber. I talked with Mary for quite awhile and she had some great stories. It was funny when I spotted them wandering around and I walked up to Jack and said, "Are you Jack"? He was so surprised that I knew him but that was only from all of Gerry's great stories. He was looking for Gerry and that bike.:laugh: Kinda like a kid in a candy store.:laugh: Gerry did a great job with getting that bike all together and other members helped also. It was fun watching those guys getting those twin west bends to fire up. I did see Peekster take it for a couple spins and that bike was killer and loud. RIP Jack. It was great to meet you.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication to history Gerry. You, along with the members you shared this history with, and those at Windber fortunate enough to meet Jack and Mary showed Jack how valued his life and accomplishments were.

Wow Gerry, sorry to hear this ! I met Jack and his wife at Windber. When I met him it was like I knew him forever. Glad I had a small part in the restoration of his bike. RIP JACK !!!

Just spoke with Mark M out on the East Coast. Jack's bike is resting comfortably in his massive Bonanza collection. He's a great guy and really appreciates the history of this bike. Phxminiguy