JLO 230 flywheel question

myjunk

I'm working on a JLO 230 manual start engine. I pulled the flywheel off to replace the points, however after I went to put the flywheel back on I noticed that the flywheel has 2 keyways. For the life of me I cant remember which one it was in. I would like to know this before I reinstall the flywheel. Has any one else ran into this issue? Thank you

MB165

are there any rust marks on the crank near the keyways or the flywheel where it looks like the key contacted it? or line up the point cam in relation to tdc (points opening)

Last edited:

myjunk

are there any rust marks on the crank near the keyways or the flywheel where it looks like the key contacted it? or line up the point cam in relation to tdc (points opening)
Sadly I see no real evidence of which keyway it was in. I did bring the piston up to TDC and have the points opening at that point, however putting the flywheel on either way will not change the location, as it fits both ways and the crank position does not move. I'm sure there is a simple explanation, I just haven't found it yet!

myjunk

Here are a couple of pictures of what I'm talking about. I currently am not a member on the vintagesled forum, I thought I might try my question on here before I join another group.

The only difference I can see would be magnet position, looking at the mag side of flywheel the keyway on left would advance while the one on right is centered on the magnet, the point cam looks to be on the crankshaft, if it's stock I would go with the centered keyway............Let the experts chime in...................Tom.

I’ve had a couple of these motors apart since it’s the same as used on the Sperry Rand Tricarts. I recall having the same dilemma, but for me there was evidence inside the keyway as to which one was used. Unfortunately, I never documented this for future reference. Also I was surprised that there is no mention of the dual keyways in the JLO service manual. These motors can be assembled for carb front/exhaust rear or with cyl jug 180º opposite and could be configured to run in either direction. I think that this the is reason for the dual keyways.

Anytime I’m working on or hear about any JLO engine, I am always reminded of an anecdote relayed to me by one of the old timers that worked at the Sperry sports vehicle plant in Lebanon, OH. There was a massive fire there consuming most of the fiberglass production and vehicle assembly building and also a rail car full of these JLO L230 engines… he said maybe 500 or 1000 engines were lost. He described the aftermath as a massive blob of aluminum with crankshafts sticking out. :blink:

Last edited: