Just a little project

Remember when I found a uber clean Bird "night hawk" minicycle?

Well one thing that bugged the snott out of me was the steel plate adapter that is between the carb manifold and the engine. Rupp told me that it was probably a 4HP manifold from the old engine and they could'nt find a 5HP manifold for the new one so they had to make a plate,,, well sure enogh thats what happened and judging by the sticker, the engine was bought and installed at a local shop. The problem was they didn't seem to be proud of their work!

On the inside I was happy to see the opening was about the same size as the 4HP so there was no loss in breathing but these guys didn't use any care to make the plate the right sized and left a smaller hole with jagged cuts so I opened the inside of the Plate to match both sides the beveled the edges then went on the outside and rounded the edges and made it look custom built for the bike and sprayed a coat of high heat paint. After that I rebuilt the carb. :thumbsup:

Now the bike went from running good to running GREAT and has more felt power. :thumbsup:

Here a pic of before and after, you have to look close on the first pic to see the unsightly mess.:doah:. GTO

OldMan

Nice work... butt you need to slide back on the seat a little... you've obviously been crowding the tank too long! :biggrin: