just a tire change tip for 8" rims

Well...after 2 years of struggling with tire changes even with tire spoons(especially smaller tires)on my ct200u i found what works great to mount tires..i drilled a hole in a 3'x2' 3/8" plywood, used the axle and nut to hold the rim still and in a few minutes minutes boop!! done...geez that took too long to learn..:laugh:

Well...after 2 years of struggling with tire changes even with tire spoons(especially smaller tires)on my ct200u i found what works great to mount tires..i drilled a hole in a 3'x2' 3/8" plywood, used the axle and nut to hold the rim still and in a few minutes minutes boop!! done...geez that took too long to learn..:laugh:

Great info thanks !

I've recently had to change a bunch of tires on DB30 wheels. Aside from spoons (100% worth the money), I've found that using an old axle and putting it in a vice to hold the wheel works well. It also helps to take a vice grip and clamp it on the edge of the wheel to help hold the tire in place. I can have a tire popped onto a wheel in a couple of minutes doing it this way. Lube the tire too, it makes things easier.

I don't recommend doing the vice grip thing if you care about how the wheel looks. It will mess up the finish. I'm repainting all of mine once the tires are on so it's no big deal.

tomc

I'm also into garden tractors so I bought a mini tire changer from Harbor Freight. It's worth it's weight in gold! I don't know I ever made it without it.

tomc

The item # 61179 is what I have. I can break the beads, mount, and dismount tires just like the ones you see used when you buy tires for your car or truck, except it is manual, not air powered. I believe the others are just bead breakers. The only problem I see with some mini-bike wheels is the ones with 4 or 5 " center holes. You might have to come up with a large "washer" of some sort to downsize the hole a little to work with the Harbor Freight changer. Otherwise it should work great as is a whole lot safer than the old fashioned way.