Just got home with a Heald VT-7 .. Pics ...

It died on the trail in 2003 and has been sitting in the shed ever since, 14 years.
Tires hold air but are weather checked.
The gas tank is bone dry.
plug was covered with soot.
I pull the ripcord and it dosent feel like there is compression ..
I don't see any holes in the block.
Oil level is where it should be.
It has spark.
I put in a new plug and a bit of starting fluid, nothing.
Gonna do a bit of disassembly and see what's what .. a blown head gasket would be nice!!

Here are a few pics ....

Here she is on her way home ..

Right side ..

Left side ...

With the VT-8 ..

I had wondered how much difference there was between a 7 and a 8. I figured they were a little smaller but those 2 look to be the same in all aspects except the top bars.

Curiosity question... Was Green a factory color?

Nice find and you just have to love the basket. Probably as old as the bike.

Doug

Last edited:
I had wondered how much difference there was between a 7 and a 8. I figured they were a little smaller but those 2 look to be the same in all aspects except the top bars.

Curiosity question... Was Green a factory color?

Doug
Top frame rail, front end rake and handlebar height, rear wheel mounts, jackshaft .. likely other stuff ... hope I can mount a Heald tank to the frame ...
The paint is rattle can green ... I wanted a bike I could do some mods to, not a clean survivor ... Dorothy fits the bill ...

Factory color for the VT7 is blue. Yours looks to be mid 1972 and up it has the plastic t/c cover mounts. Metal cover would have been flat on top with 2 bolt holes. Very nice find all complete.

I would say negative ghost rider on the tank... But what do I know.....

It looks like the current tank sticks up to far for the top tank unless you remove it. And then there's the key switch...

Regardless I like it just the way it is. It should be a lot of fun.

I have the twin to it in a VT-812... And I do mean Twin.... LOL... Rattle can green on mine too.

Now that you mention it, it does have less rake. That's interesting.

Doug

Last edited:
Kevin,
That bike would be a good candidate for a "restomod". Do a performance build/upgrade for high HP/torque/RPM to that nice Tecumseh Motorsports engine you recently purchased and put THAT on this VT-7. Now THAT would be something to ride!!
Michael

Last edited:
Kevin,
That bike would be a good candidate for a "restomod". Do a performance build/upgrade for high HP/torque/RPM to that nice Tecumseh Motorsports engine you recently purchased and put THAT on this VT-7. Now THAT would be something to ride!!
Michael
Yep Michael you do follow my posts and connecting the dots it becomes obvious what I'm up to ...
RIP-SNORTING HOT ROD!!
I wanted a bike that wasn't too pretty but still there ... this one fits the bill ... repainted including fenders ..lots of surface rust ... needs tires ..
The motor with the starter are going on the VT-8 for my daughter up north.
I will gently store the VT-8 motor ...
That frees up this roller for my H50 Motorsports motor ... and its pretty much a blank slate from there ...

The 7 has a jackshaft with a band brake and a front brake.

Kevin,
When you go to build that Tecumseh Mortorsports engine into a MONSTER, a gentleman named Mike Clements is going to be your best friend. What Ron Kimball is to Heald Products, Mike Clements is to performance building Tecumseh Motorsports engines. Mike would be a good source for parts and also expertise of what could be done (and how to do it) to your engine. This is the "Go-to" guy that I would want to help me. I talked to him a couple of times a few years ago and he is a very nice guy as well. Check out his website:Go Kart Racing Home Page for Clements Racing Products
Michael
***Edit- Another very good source for performance building your engine is VKE Motorsports. I do not have any contact info for the. Perhaps another OldMiniBikes member does?

Last edited:
I would say negative ghost rider on the tank... But what do I know.....

It looks like the current tank sticks up to far for the top tank unless you remove it. And then there's the key switch...

Regardless I like it just the way it is. It should be a lot of fun.

I have the twin to it in a VT-812... And I do mean Twin.... LOL... Rattle can green on mine too.

Now that you mention it, it does have less rake. That's interesting.

Doug
How do you like those Duo tires on your bronc? Are you running the same one in the rear? My bronc needs new tires and I like the looks of the those. Would they work for gravel roads?

Sorry to hijack .......nice broncos here. Looking forward to OP'so build.

John