!!!just how reliable are tav30???

:confused:It seem that tav30's are crap!, or is it me .I've put tav30s on various engines , and it seems like the power just falls off, or the driven shaft starts to strip,keys break or its starts chewing the belts up! all i want to know does everyone who runs tavs have to replace something every 5-8 times they ride or do i have to pamper my tavs driven vehicles?:confused:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
You need to talk to Josh. He claims you can run the TAV's forever on one belt. He says you just set it up correctly and you never have to worry about it again.

Me personally have had my share of problems with them many years ago. I just switch over to kart style racing clutches and never looked back. But the better Salsbury TC setup I would say is the best out of the TC's I have ran for a minibike. First it stronger, can handle more power, and it's fully adjustable. You can change the stall, and shift points.

I've never come close to wearing one out or replacing anything.

You ain't doing something right. check your belt alignment.

I also have one from 1970 that's old and pitted and still works perfect! The bike it came off was well used and beat to hell for 39 years. The belt is thinner now but still works.

They are why better for dirt riding than ANY clutch made.

tav....reliable

My tav has been on my mini baja heat for about a year now i bet i have 10 to 20 thousande miles on it and the belt looks just as good as it did when i bought it......have never had to do anything except clean it.....

the first one i bought brand new,the belt only lasted maybe a month then the driven shaft stripped at the sprocket.its just been one thing after another. i know i dont have the brass bearing installedthat goes between the driver halfs, could that be the source of some off my problem ? mdb do you know where i could get a salsbury tc ? i really love the power and takeoff the tav delivers just dunt like dependabilty,i will check belt alignment.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
My tav has been on my mini baja heat for about a year now i bet i have 10 to 20 thousande miles on it and the belt looks just as good as it did when i bought it......have never had to do anything except clean it.....
That's more miles than I put on my car in a year.:eek:ut:

the first one i bought brand new,the belt only lasted maybe a month then the driven shaft stripped at the sprocket.its just been one thing after another. i know i dont have the brass bearing installedthat goes between the driver halfs, could that be the source of some off my problem ? mdb do you know where i could get a salsbury tc ? i really love the power and takeoff the tav delivers just dunt like dependabilty,i will check belt alignment.
The bushing keeps the belt from dragging/grinding on the shaft at idle so I'd say that IS a problem especially if the belt is tight.

where was the wear on the belt?

I put on a new unit on one bike and noticed some wear on ones side (after a few months) I added a washer to bring the driver out and it sopped wearing because it was aligned properly. The belt should tell you everything.

You have to remember every bike made for trails and hunting came with a torque converter and I see a lot of them with original equipment still intact and working.

Motra

If it's mounted correctly (they come with instructions and you can get the instructions on the Comet site) there shouldn't be an alignment problem, actually, there really couldn't be an alignment problem, it comes with all the parts needed to mount it correctly. It also couldn't be too tight or too loose, it's not adjustable. It is possible to install the belt backwords. The belt says "engine" with several arrows. If those arrows are pointing towards the engine, you've done well. If not, you might want to rethink this thing. And yes, that bushing is critical. It doesn't seem very justifiable to question the reliability of it if you've knowingly done something wrong.

If it's mounted correctly (they come with instructions and you can get the instructions on the Comet site) there shouldn't be an alignment problem, actually, there really couldn't be an alignment problem, it comes with all the parts needed to mount it correctly. It also couldn't be too tight or too loose, it's not adjustable. It is possible to install the belt backwords. The belt says "engine" with several arrows. If those arrows are pointing towards the engine, you've done well. If not, you might want to rethink this thing. And yes, that bushing is critical. It doesn't seem very justifiable to question the reliability of it if you've knowingly done something wrong.
Morta, I found that some engine shafts are different at the end and you do have to align the driver sometimes .

Motra

Morta, I found that some engine shafts are different at the end and you do have to align the driver sometimes .
Yeah you're right, sorry! I didn't mean to sound like such a :censure:head, I think I was a little tired and out-of-it last night.

george3

I would really like to know why you posted this knowing parts are missing. I am sure the alignment is off, knowing you are missing parts.

yeah he did!

You didn't sound like an :censure: head.:thumbsup:
Yeah he did!
i knowingly ran the tav w/o that copper bearing cause couldnt find it and i didnt think it was that important:doah:.now i know but , the quest was for input on reliability of tavs not personal opinions

george3

Go to this site has all the info you need. plus a diagram of the correct way to line it up. look at the diagram real carefull follow the dotted lines for the line up. you dont line up edge to edge, you line up center to center with a straight edge. the nut on the driven to be snuged not locked down tight. the locking nut might not doing its job could be too loose. 30 Series Comet Torque Converters for Go Karts & Mini Bikes

Go to this site has all the info you need. plus a diagram of the correct way to line it up. look at the diagram real carefull follow the dotted lines for the line up. you dont line up edge to edge, you line up center to center with a straight edge. the nut on the driven to be snuged not locked down tight. the locking nut might not doing its job could be too loose. 30 Series Comet Torque Converters for Go Karts & Mini Bikes
had the same problem here paper work was missin for us and had me wondern:confused: until u guys posted up these links. very helpful
to know thanks george.