Just scored a Alsport Trisport street legal! need parts...

Well i need a seat, chrome handle bars, rear bumper thing, headrest? all 6 shocks, headlight with good chrome, and what kind of motor should it get? i think it had a rotax originally, but i dont got one with it so i was thinking of a honda clone 6.5 with some mods.

ALSO !! where would i find a VIN number on it? if its not there can i get a pic of one so i can make one?...

Last edited:

wjustice

Congratulations! Welcome to the obsession that is trikes. First are you sure it is a street legal? Many of the SL parts are there but they had many options that could be added to the offroad version. The engine was originally a Kohler 2AX. Most were 340's. The kohler was a 2 cycle twin @ about 26hp. You would really have to build a clone to match that. Other snowmobile engines could be fitted and can be had fairly cheap.

Parts
Seat pad - original pads are 37+ years old and most are getting in poor condition. You could have it custom made. I've been trying to get some made and haven't made out very well.
Chrome bars - Not many available. Most were powder-coated black. Even the 74 sales paper had black bars on the SL.
Rear Bumper thing - Not sure what you mean. Nothing should be on that bumper. You are missing the entire rear cowl and headrest/luggage rack.
Headreat - See above

Congratulations! Welcome to the obsession that is trikes. First are you sure it is a street legal? Many of the SL parts are there but they had many options that could be added to the offroad version. The engine was originally a Kohler 2AX. Most were 340's. The kohler was a 2 cycle twin @ about 26hp. You would really have to build a clone to match that. Other snowmobile engines could be fitted and can be had fairly cheap.

Parts
Seat pad - original pads are 37+ years old and most are getting in poor condition. You could have it custom made. I've been trying to get some made and haven't made out very well.
Chrome bars - Not many available. Most were powder-coated black. Even the 74 sales paper had black bars on the SL.
Rear Bumper thing - Not sure what you mean. Nothing should be on that bumper. You are missing the entire rear cowl and headrest/luggage rack.
Headreat - See above
Lol thanks for the welcome, i do have another trike too that im puting a dana 5 speed transaxle in and chopped the rearend to 1 1/2 inches of ground clearence, its a tri-rod tr-351.

I can probably get a seat made, thats no biggie, but do you have or know of a parts source?
the rear bumper thing is like on the very rear its chrome and got a couple small peices of square tubing on it going up.

wjustice

These have been out of production for almost 40 years so parts are finding another or someone parting out what they have. Some things come up on CL or ebay now and then. As far as to the square tubing on the bumper, I think someone added something and it's not original

These have been out of production for almost 40 years so parts are finding another or someone parting out what they have. Some things come up on CL or ebay now and then. As far as to the square tubing on the bumper, I think someone added something and it's not original
Well guess i'll have to look around some then..
How do i know what model this is that i have? i think its a RTS? how do i know if its street legal?

wjustice

Ok the VIN as far as I know is on the frame at the steering head. As to the model I would guess definitely an RTS maybe a SL. The SL's had full lighting (turn signals, brake, headlight, etc), the engine was completely enclosed which mounted the lighting, rear fenders, and axle mounted (not jack-shaft) rear disc brakes. There could be more but i'm not sure. You also have the newer double tube frame. Most of the SL's features could be added as options by the dealers I believe.
I cant see the rear brakes and there is a toggle switch where the key would be. Some more pics of the jack-shaft/engine bay may help but someone else may need the chime in here.

Last edited:
OK I am here and looking at the trike I see that it has a lot of missing parts and to make it a Street Legal Trike will require a lot of work. The rear body half was just cosmetic except for the nesting place for the special fuel tank. This frame has a engine mount like they used on the Tecumseh 16 HP engine and the frame is a two main tube frame. As for brakes I don't see any disc so they are missing or they just used a small 6 inch disc on the missing jack shaft. I only sold one of the Trikes with the Tecumseh engine and I just did the assembly and initial start up and never saw it after the sale.
I think there needs to be along range cost assessment of what it will need to make it a running trike for street use. Pictures of my Street Legal 440 will show how far this project might need to go .
Steve :scooter:

Ok the VIN as far as I know is on the frame at the steering head. As to the model I would guess definitely an RTS maybe a SL. The SL's had full lighting (turn signals, brake, headlight, etc), the engine was completely enclosed which mounted the lighting, rear fenders, and axle mounted (not jack-shaft) rear disc brakes. There could be more but i'm not sure. You also have the newer double tube frame. Most of the SL's features could be added as options by the dealers I believe.
I cant see the rear brakes and there is a toggle switch where the key would be. Some more pics of the jack-shaft/engine bay may help but someone else may need the chime in here.
Well there is no vin on it. looks like this is gunna be a interesting project having to find all these parts.
i'll get pics tomorrow

OK I am here and looking at the trike I see that it has a lot of missing parts and to make it a Street Legal Trike will require a lot of work. The rear body half was just cosmetic except for the nesting place for the special fuel tank. This frame has a engine mount like they used on the Tecumseh 16 HP engine and the frame is a two main tube frame. As for brakes I don't see any disc so they are missing or they just used a small 6 inch disc on the missing jack shaft. I only sold one of the Trikes with the Tecumseh engine and I just did the assembly and initial start up and never saw it after the sale.
I think there needs to be along range cost assessment of what it will need to make it a running trike for street use. Pictures of my Street Legal 440 will show how far this project might need to go .
Steve :scooter:

well i might not make it street legal.. might just use it on some of my trails. Do you have any extra parts for sale? or know where i can get any?
How much do you think this will cost to totally restore it myself?
I'd rather have yours! its really nice :thumbsup:

wjustice

To restore? A lot! To get it running maybe not too bad. An engine, torque converter and jackshaft assembly to start. Brakes, they are tougher as the originals are no longer made. Lots of your time.

To restore? A lot! To get it running maybe not too bad. An engine, torque converter and jackshaft assembly to start. Brakes, they are tougher as the originals are no longer made. Lots of your time.
Well i guess for now i'll just get it running and fix the fiberglass on the body.
i already got a modded clone on it tonight and have a TAV to put on it till i get a bigger motor.

wjustice

I used glass matting and polyester resin I got from my local Advance Auto. The filler was Micro-balloons from my old R/C days mixed onto the resin. I don't think this is still available anymore but auto body filler should be ok instead and probably easier. I've been told baking soda can be mixed into polyester resin as a filler but i've never tried that. Stick with body filler. I used a random orbit sander from HF and heavy grit(40-60) to start, fine(150) later. Just take your time.

I'm not sure how to link to a album but I put some pics up in my gallery.

I'm still working on a lot of other thing and don't want to damage good paint, so I left it in primer for now.

I used glass matting and polyester resin I got from my local Advance Auto. The filler was Micro-balloons from my old R/C days mixed onto the resin. I don't think this is still available anymore but auto body filler should be ok instead and probably easier. I've been told baking soda can be mixed into polyester resin as a filler but i've never tried that. Stick with body filler. I used a random orbit sander from HF and heavy grit(40-60) to start, fine(150) later. Just take your time.

I'm not sure how to link to a album but I put some pics up in my gallery.

I'm still working on a lot of other thing and don't want to damage good paint, so I left it in primer for now.
alright, i'll try that. thanks.
do you know what the factory colors/color codes were for the bodys? i want to keep it somewhat original.

wjustice

Damn I have no idea. They were all orange. The body is plastic backed with fiberglass and the body plastic was molded is the color. The body wasn't painted.