K & S hornet rebuild

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've posted. Now that it's getting nicer out, I started working on a new project. I picked up this frame last summer for next to nothing. After posting in the "what is it" section, I found out its a K & S hornet.

This will be the first mini bike that I am having powder coated and I can't wait to see how it turns out. The original color looks like a light metal flake teal. Gonna try to get a powder that closely matches that, should turn out really nice. The engine I have for this mini is a $99 6.5hp clone from harbor freight. Took the gas tank and engine cover off tonight, going to have them powder coated as well. I can't decide on a color for them though. Right now I'm thinking white, black, or match the frame color. Let me know what you guys think. I am dropping everything off with the powder coater in the morning. I'm hoping to have everything back by the weekend. I'll keep this thread updated as I go.

**UPDATE**

Got my parts back from the powder coater today! Everything turned out great. Not exactly the color I was looking for but it's growing on me. Its hard to tell in the pictures but there is a light metal flake in it. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks guys. As far as rims, for the rear I recently bought a steel rim and 60t sprocket from richs, an OldMiniBikes member. For the front I am just going to run an azusa two peice rim until I come across something a little more vintage.

Yea I am really starting to dig this color a lot. It was a shock when I first picked up the parts, but I am pretty happy with it.

My brother in-law has a blast cabinet. Tonight I am going to blast the fenders and a few other misc. parts. I think I am going to keep this vintage look going, so the fenders are getting painted white. The wheels, the front rim I am going to polish it, the rear is getting painted silver with the sprocket black. I'll put up some pics later tonight.

It cost me 140$ out the door.

I finally had some time to work on it today. Got the rear wheel and sprocket all cleaned up and painted. Started putting it back together but I am missing a lot of pieces still. I ordered some new tires and tubes, and sealed bearings w/ C-clips. These handle bars are 1", and I had nothing that fit. So I also ordered a new twist grip.

This seat is temporary, just something I had lying around.

**UPDATE**

I finished it today! Really happy with how it turned out. Still need to get my fenders cleaned up and painted, but that will be a project for another day. The front wheel just doesn't look right, so I'll be looking for something else very soon.

The front is a generic two-piece rim, it came with my azusa kit 10yrs ago. I just remembered when I first brought this frame home, it had the original front rim still. I swapped it out because it wouldn't hold air. I gotta dig it out and clean it up!

send 'thebronc4019' a pm and see if he can hook you up with a hornet sticker for your forks. It would really 'make' that bike.
Thanks! I really hope he can find me one, just won't look finished without it. I have been looking all over and can't find any decals anywhere. I also want to put a decal or something on the center of the pull start cover, not sure what yet. Any ideas?

That's a really sweet bike. The decal and the white fender should really set it off.

I'd agree on the recoil, black would be hot and then a sticker/decal on the center?

Hell, what about a nice white seat too? Then some stringy-things hanging from the grip ends.....:eek:ut: sorry, got carried away there!

Sweet bike!

I kind of like the engine being one solid color. Also the recoil cover was powder coated, I dont really feel like trying to get this stuff off lol. I got the fenders sandblasted last night. They are gonna need some work before they are ready for paint.