K & S Resto-Mod

Back in 2008 when I restored a "top-of-the-line" K&S Hornet I was able to purchase a base model Hornet locally to get some parts from it. That bike has been sitting in my shed for the last 5 years while I completed another car restoration. Now that the car is done and I am itching to build something else, I dragged the base model K&S out of the shed and am going to do it as a resto-mod.

It originally had a Tecumseh 3 1/2 HP engine on it but that engine has issues. (I may go back and rebuild that engine at a later date.) I got a very nice Briggs and Stratton 5 HP engine at the swap meet for a mere $30 so that is going on the bike. I am going to make some other minor mods to the bike like chrome fenders but keep most of the bike stock as far as paint, striping etc...

The attached picture is what the bike looked like when I got it with the exception of the forks, they were severly bent but I straightened them out as soon as I got the bike. All in all the bike was in decent shape and everything was there.

Last edited:
That is a nice one, fenders, chain guard, very nice. See you are missing foot pegs in the photo, I have two extra Hornet foot pegs if you need em, sandblasted and primed...screw right on with 1/4 inch bolts. Let me know if you need them. Just painted my Hornet today before the cold spell comes- candy apple red.

Roadrunner, thanks for the offer but I have a good set of pegs. What I am looking for is a Manco wheel for the front. I have one for it but one half has some grind marks on it. If you or anyone else reading this has a Manco 6" wheel or even 1/2 of the wheel not tapped for a sprocket I would be looking to purchase that.

K & S Resto-Mod progress

Much progress on the "Resto-Mod". Painted the bike, replicated factory striping and then cleared the bike. Got the seat recovered and detailed my swap meet $30 5 H.P. Briggs that runs like a top.

Last edited: