KART QUESTIONS

colt 1911

ANY IDEA WHAT I HAVE? THE PROJECT IS MOVING ALONG NICELY FOR A FRIEND. I REPLACED THE RIGHT FRONT TIRE THAT WAS WORN BADLY ON AN ANGLE. NOTICE THE CHROME RIGHT SIDE ANTI ROLL BAR. I GUESS THE KART WAS DESIGNED TO RUN CCW ON A TRACK? WHY ARE THE FRAME EXTENSIONS FROM THE FRAME TO THE FRONT WHEELS DIFFERENT LENGHTS? ARE THE CONNECTION POINTS CORRECT OF THE TIE RODS TO THE TRIANGLE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE STEERING COLUMN? IF THE KART IS SITTING FLAT ON MY GARAGE FLOOR AND I TURN THE STEERING WHEEL IN ONE DIRECTION THE OPPOSITE TIRE LIFTS OFF THE FLOOR ABOUT AN INCH? 100_3518.jpg 100_3519.jpg 100_3520.jpg 100_3521.jpg 100_3522.jpg 100_3525.jpg 100_3529.jpg

I74

Think it was definitely set up for roundy round.
Not sure what it is though,, other than it looks late 60's - early 70's ....

Last edited:

colt 1911

UPDATE- FOUND A NAME ON THE FRAME[MARGAY]. THE LEFT TIE ROD NEEDS TO BE IN THE LOCATION AS PICTURED TO CLEAR THE BRAKE ROD EXTENSION.

I74

Pans look in good shape. :)
If you drill out those rivets,, I would replace them with stainless button head machine screws, with stainless washers & lock nuts. ;)

desert rat

I forgot to answer your last question, tire lifting. It is called "jacking", in order to turn a live axle cart and keep your speed up you have to lift a rear tire. This is done with a very aggressive caster. The jacking effect can be fine tuned many ways. Caster#1 is not "fine" tuneable on the old carts. Fine tune= tire psi, tire dia./ width ( stagger), distance from the king pin, compound(hardness). The rear tires remain the same. For one that may not be thought of is seat location left and right. My seat will move three inches to the left of center and only one inch to the right of center. Then there is ackerman steering, inside tire turns in more both ways. You can see my rear seat mount bar in the pic.

https://forums.kartpulse.com/t/jacking-vs-grip/6298.

Attachments

Last edited:

colt 1911

I EMAILED MY PICS TO MAGWAY TECH SUPPORT AND A GUY SAID IT WASN'T ONE OF THEIR KARTS. OK. I SENT HIM THE CHEETAH AD AND TOLD HIM MAGWAY WAS STAMPED IN THE FRONT SPINDLES. NO REPLY. I GUESS HE STARTED WORKING THERE LAST WEEK. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE NAME OF A GO KART FORUM?

Last edited:

colt 1911

I forgot to answer your last question, tire lifting. It is called "jacking", in order to turn a live axle cart and keep your speed up you have to lift a rear tire. This is done with a very aggressive caster. The jacking effect can be fine tuned many ways. Caster#1 is not "fine" tuneable on the old carts. Fine tune= tire psi, tire dia./ width ( stagger), distance from the king pin, compound(hardness). The rear tires remain the same. For one that may not be thought of is seat location left and right. My seat will move three inches to the left of center and only one inch to the right of center. Then there is ackerman steering, inside tire turns in more both ways. You can see my rear seat mount bar in the pic.

https://forums.kartpulse.com/t/jacking-vs-grip/6298.
IS THE KARTPULSE FORUM THE BEST TO USE? JEFF

I74

I EMAILED MY PICS TO MAGWAY TECH SUPPORT AND A GUY SAID IT WASN'T ONE OF THEIR KARTS. OK. I SENT HIM THE CHEETAH AD AND TOLD HIM MAGWAY WAS STAMPED IN THE FRONT SPINDLES. NO REPLY. I GUESS HE STARTED WORKING THERE LAST WEEK. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE NAME OF A GO KART FORUM?
Go figure. :rolleyes:
Was a member of DIY Go Karts,, but don't much like it there,,& asked to be removed. ''To many Jerks''.

colt 1911

Was a member of DIY Go Karts,, but don't much like it there,,& asked to be removed. ''To many Jerks''.
i just joined KARTPULSE 3 hours ago and the people are very nice and helpful. if it is something other then the cheetah i would like to know.

Harquebus

Diygokarts isn't really a vintage kart forum; they do handle everything and it's truly "anything goes", and a few there know the classic racing karts, but it's really more of a hobbyist do-it-yourself forum with an emphasis on yard or fun karts.

I74

Diygokarts isn't really a vintage kart forum; they do handle everything and it's truly "anything goes", and a few there know the classic racing karts, but it's really more of a hobbyist do-it-yourself forum with an emphasis on yard or fun karts.
Yea,, you are pretty much right on that.
I was really pretty much implying that DIY Karts is ''not'' the place to go.

Last edited:

I74

Thanks for the link. I checked out just one or two threads and was already impressed by the knowledge base there.
Just checked that out also, & colt 1911's thread.
Looks like one Guy there thinks it's a Cheetah MKIII,, with missing the engine swing mount ect.