Kart World?

Anybody know how long ago Kart World went out of business? I recently tracked down a 1991 catalog on Ebay (what can I say? I'm nostalgic for my formative years in obsessing over small engines, karts and mini bikes lol) and was wondering how long ago they went under. I think they were based in Mansfield, Ohio, which I believe is where Rupp used to be located. Anybody have any inside information? I know that Manco is still around, but I believe Bird Engineering became Phoenix Fun Machines later, which eventually went away or got absorbed by someone else. Just curious, thanks.

kart world catalog

Anybody know how long ago Kart World went out of business? I recently tracked down a 1991 catalog on Ebay (what can I say? I'm nostalgic for my formative years in obsessing over small engines, karts and mini bikes lol) and was wondering how long ago they went under. I think they were based in Mansfield, Ohio, which I believe is where Rupp used to be located. Anybody have any inside information? I know that Manco is still around, but I believe Bird Engineering became Phoenix Fun Machines later, which eventually went away or got absorbed by someone else. Just curious, thanks.
as an addr
I have a 1998 catalog #351 it shows an address of 1488 mentor avenue painesville ohio 44077 .

Last edited:

toomanytoys

In 1994 I bought an American Express Manco Go-Kart from them. Well really my dad did, but I cut grass, carried trash, and cleaned out many basements for that cash.

I wish I still had my catalog, I bet it was worn tissue thin over time.

They couldn't have closed too long ago. Maybe 5 years :shrug: That NOS Golden Pinto frame I bought came with a box full of goodies from Kart World , like grips Bird Scrub brakes , kickstand, etc..

There was a notice on the BBB web site that as of 2007 they appeared out of business... I remember seeing their ads in the back of Boys Life and Hot Rod magazines when I was a kid in the mid 80s...

I bought my first minibike from kart world back in maybe 2001 or 2002, they had ad's in the back of "Boys Life" the boyscout magazine for the longest running time. So you may find some brief ad's within the magazines

markus

Every now and again a KW catal9g turns up on eBay but to date still haven't found an 80s era one. Six years later the search continues. Lol
I picked one up last year because the mini shown on the cover was still the old style Bird/1st version Manco thunderbird style so I figured it was at least 1987/88 but the price price update sheet that came with it is shows 1992 (and they just used that pic for the cover, that model was not in it). Its catalog #345

Oldest cat I have ever seen (but I really don't look too hard for them) was dated 1988, It was after Bird/Phoenix was gone and Manco had taken over the line from them from them.