Keystone 2-Stroke TAS Survivor.....kinda

I'm on lunch so here are some pictures of what I accomplished (not a lot) last night. I can't wait to take this motor apart, check out the piston! :thumbsup:

View attachment 56858
View attachment 56859
View attachment 56860
View attachment 56861

I'm hoping to get the motor tore down this weekend when I'm back home in the shop. I am thinking that I may have to file-fit some Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha rings. What have you other Keystone owners done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINI-MATIC

Does the piston move back and forth in the cylinder/with the rings still on it? These rings are still available,not for the bike,but for a generator that used the same jug!:thumbsup:

Keystone

Awesome......good luck.
Looking forward to this build.

Thanks
Frankster

PS There aren't may Keystone builds at OBM.com with good information and pictures.

Tanaka DEG-600 Generator uses the same rings:scooter:
I purchased them and they were identical/but new!
Thanks MiniMatic. :thumbsup: I have a Tanaka dealer near me so that should work good. And yes the piston still moves good in the cylinder. It still has compression but not a lot.

And Tom, I'm already in the city, my first week was this week. I'll be home every weekend so I'll be able to get some work done. This week is pretty slow because our class is surrounded by a bunch of mills, lathes, grinders, drill presses and a bunch more cool fab stuff but we can't touch anything! We have to finish our safety and math classes first.

And Yoop, it is either a 49cc or 50cc, I've heard both.

Frankster, I'll make sure to take lots of pictures during the process. I think the carb may be a Keihin? I'll look at it again and get back to you.

MINI-MATIC

Thanks MiniMatic. :thumbsup: I have a Tanaka dealer near me so that should work good. And yes the piston still moves good in the cylinder. It still has compression but not a lot.

And Tom, I'm already in the city, my first week was this week. I'll be home every weekend so I'll be able to get some work done. This week is pretty slow because our class is surrounded by a bunch of mills, lathes, grinders, drill presses and a bunch more cool fab stuff but we can't touch anything! We have to finish our safety and math classes first.

And Yoop, it is either a 49cc or 50cc, I've heard both.

Frankster, I'll make sure to take lots of pictures during the process. I think the carb may be a Keihin? I'll look at it again and get back to you.

When I mentioned piston movement,I didnt mean up and down in the cylinder,but,front to back wiggle in the cylinder.It if moves quite a bit,the rings are toast!:thumbsup:

Oh, I see, it doesn't seem to have any. I will likely put new rings in and run a bottle brush through the cylinder just so I don't have to do it later.

I know Paul, the problem is that the tire is stuck on the rim. I tried soaking it in ATF/Acetone to break the bead but had no luck. I want to save the tires to use since they have little wear, and they have no cracks.

Sounds like its really stuck, The rims are very delicate which makes things worse. I've had much success putting the tire in a vise and squishing it very close to the rim.

Ya it is on there pretty good, they look to be original to the bike. I tried using the vise but I'm afraid to wreck the tire.

Well, by the looks of it I found another 2-stroke Keystone and according to seller it is complete including the recoil. Hopefully he gets back to me.

Keystone

Wow, that's great news. I wonder if its the guy I emailed a few months ago?
He never sent me pictures of his keystone, West side of Canada somewhere. I just wanted his spare engine, but he didn't want to sell it alone...cant' blame him.

Anyway, let me know if you get it, I'm interested in your engine, looks like allot of parts I need. I can live without a recoil if I have the recoil housing, flywheel, points and carb that I'm missing.

thanks
frankter

Wow, that's great news. I wonder if its the guy I emailed a few months ago?
He never sent me pictures of his keystone, West side of Canada somewhere. I just wanted his spare engine, but he didn't want to sell it alone...cant' blame him.

Anyway, let me know if you get it, I'm interested in your engine, looks like allot of parts I need. I can live without a recoil if I have the recoil housing, flywheel, points and carb that I'm missing.

thanks
frankter
Could be Frank. This guy has a 2nd bike he wants to sell with the Keystone. I just need a recoil.

I am gonna make the tranny parts I need, and
I'm gonna cut my own sprockets to convert it from bicycle chain to #35.

I'll let you know how it pans out Frank, I'm either going to look at it tomorrow or Thursday.