Killswitch Ground Wire Ripped off

Latent

Hey guys,

recently noticed that my kill switch is not working on the predator 212cc engine itself.. I got into a little crash couple weeks ago, and I guess the ground ripped off then. My question is can I splice/crimp the wire, and run another wire to a ground? Not the best with wiring diagrams etc.. Hopefully someone can give me some advice. Here is a picture of the current wiring set up on my mini bike. Appreciate any assistance.

93ABCA51-0BF6-4BCB-8323-18B57E04E95A.jpeg

DaddyJohn

The lower wire in your pic (exiting the left of the red switch) is grounded. The upper wire (where it heads into the engine on the left) should connect to the grounding post on the coil (that kills the engine when it connects to ground). Sooo... The female bullet connector (shown empty in your pic) should be connected to one of the wires on your handlebar switch. The other wire on the handlebar switch should connect to ground (preferably on the engine). In this configuration, the handlebar switch is basically a redundant version of the engine mounted switch.

Latent

The lower wire in your pic (exiting the left of the red switch) is grounded. The upper wire (where it heads into the engine on the left) should connect to the grounding post on the coil (that kills the engine when it connects to ground). Sooo... The female bullet connector (shown empty in your pic) should be connected to one of the wires on your handlebar switch. The other wire on the handlebar switch should connect to ground (preferably on the engine). In this configuration, the handlebar switch is basically a redundant version of the engine mounted switch.
I don’t have a handle bar kill switch yet, but your saying the upper wire going under the gas tank should be grounded correct? When I get a handlebar kill switch I can just connect to the female bullet connection that is currently empty.

Are you saying that If I got the doodlebug kill switch which has its own ground, and female bullet connection this will work? Or will I have to ground the wire going under the gas tank as well even if I get the kill switch? Thank you.

if the coil wire is grounded with the engine running, the engine will die.
So the coil wire needs to run to a switch, then to ground.
That way when you hit the switch, the current goes to ground and the engine dies.

Latent

Going to grab a kill switch, and see if that’ll fix the problem, but regardless the kill switch on the motor should work...

Trying to solve the issue with the original kill switch on the engine itself not working. The coil wire should be able to be grounded to get the engine to stop as intended from factory...

Latent

So I took the kill switch off the predator that is mounted on the engine itself - I just connected the new kill switch I got directly to the coil wire, and grounded it. Ended up working problem was the switch on the engine itself.

had to extend the copper wiring for the kill switch to be mounted on the handle bars - electric taped this afterwards lol..
2EF48156-4DD0-4AD4-A8A1-DA51C04A814A.jpeg

Glad you got it figured out!
IMHO the kill switch on the engine can create problems (broken) and is not in the best location.
You want it on the bars anyways for safety.
Searching and reaching around for kill switch with a stuck throttle could have bad results.

BTW, you might want to solder and heat shrink those connections. Electrical tape doesn’t always hold very well, and if one of those connections should become disconnected, your kill switch will no longer work (engine will not turn off).
At least use some heat shrink butt connectors IMHO for a better connection.

hah definitely this was only for testing purposes - I got this soldered on now :D
Both wires appear to be solid single wire. This will not survive the turning of the bars or the shaking from vibration of the engine or rough riding surfaces. You need a flexible stranded wire for reliability. A TFFN wire would be a much better choice. Not hard to find as it is available at the big box stores.18 gauge is all you need.

https://www.awcwire.com/blog/tffn-vs-thhn-wire-product-knockout