Kit car guys here?

Littlebear

Any kit car guys here? I picked up this never finished Kelmar GT last week in a trade along with some other goodies. The significant other wants it. It's setting on a VW type 1 IRS pan. The plan so far is to put the Subaru H-6 engine it. Should be a fun project. Any suggestions on where to find a Pinto windshield? 20190214_113423.jpg

I74

I remember those.
Might try some salvage yards around Denver.
Seems like there used to be a place up by Longmont, that had all kinds of hard to find / unusual stuff.
I

Littlebear

That's a great project. One of the better looking VW kits, IMO. Here's a link to one that's finished. I like the use of blackout around the edges of the side window and the pillars on that car.

Kelmark GT Big Block
Hey guys. Sorry to be late on my own thread here. Girl and I own/run a firewood business, and with the weather lately, it's been good. Not much time for the toys though. Anyway,from my research on these, the one's with the big blocks usually have a tube frame under them. I put some beatings on VW beetles when I was younger, but I don't think a vw pan would hold up to a big block. Maybe though. This thing definitely needs some sort of cage built inside of it. Nothing but fiberglass all around you. Wouldn't fair to well in an accident. I agree Tom. One of the better looking ones. My brother in law has a Bradley GT that has been sitting stagnant for years. Maybe this will light the fire to get his finished. Lol.

Littlebear

Do you know what year the VW pan is. The transmission might need help hooked up to the good choice of the Subaru engine.
I haven't looked at the year for the pan. It's a standard beetle pan. Not the early swing-axle though. IRS rear. Standard front end. Yes, the Subaru is the way to go. I had many beetles growing up and just am tired of the V-dub motors. Subaru will be much more reliable. I still own my 1978 Westfalia. Owned 24 years now. Eventually it will get a Subaru swap also.

Very cool! My brother in law has a Bradley. He is missing the gull wing doors though. I have heard their is one gentleman somewhere that makes reproductions but they are made to order and quite expensive.

tomc

Very cool! My brother in law has a Bradley. He is missing the gull wing doors though. I have heard their is one gentleman somewhere that makes reproductions but they are made to order and quite expensive.
I have traded off my Bradley GTII. I got the opportunity and jumped at the chance to swap for a '52 Studebaker Commander four-door sedan. It's a V8 automatic car with "suicide" rear doors. It's it great shape and I'm a lot happier with it. 20190419_101315.jpg

The suicide doors were a leftover Idea of the Hudson cars. When my sister opened the door when the car was going up a hill in Long Beach , California the wind caught the door and flung her out onto the gravel road side and she tumbled down the hill over 300 yards.
Lots of small cuts and scrapes and after a while she began having epileptic seizures and it took many many visits to the chiropractor but she is and has been over with that for many years.

I74

The suicide doors were a leftover Idea of the Hudson cars. When my sister opened the door when the car was going up a hill in Long Beach , California the wind caught the door and flung her out onto the gravel road side and she tumbled down the hill over 300 yards.
Lots of small cuts and scrapes and after a while she began having epileptic seizures and it took many many visits to the chiropractor but she is and has been over with that for many years.
That's frick'n nuts!:oops:
Glad she's alright now.

tomc

Studebaker, and possibly other makers that had "suicide" rear doors, supplied a kit that consisted of parts that were installed in the posts between the front and rear doors that prevented the rear doors from being opened unless the front doors were opened first. The kit is still available from Studebaker parts suppliers. I plan to order the kit or fabricate my own duplicates of them for my car.
I was in a serious head-on car collision a couple of years ago when another driver crossed over and hit me. I now walk with a cane and found that I had difficulty getting into and out of the Bradley GTII car. Not so with the Studebaker sedan!