Kohler 295cc 2 stroke 20HP

I have a Kohler of Canada 295cc 20HP 2 stroke on a Heald SuperTryke. It had a loose rod when I bought it about 12 years ago and I've never done anything with it. I restored the whole SuperTryke and stopped when I got to the motor. Where can I buy parts for this? I searched the forum with no luck.

See this Craiglist post got me thinking about mine.
Carl Heald 1974 Super Tryke SST20

I've got one of those engines! I bartered a Artic cat engine for a Rockwell JLo for my Tri-Sport project and the guy threw that in as a parts doner. I was told these two are nearly ( or are) identical internals. :shrug:
If you check E Bay there always is plenty of parts listings for them.
If ya need another complete block,get in touch w/me (minus carb & exh.)

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Kool looking trike ! I'd try snowmobile engines

These were used in many brands like John Deere, Skirouel, etc.

I know where 3 are now! Just too far for you, here in Canada

Try Lost viking enterprises 989 872-9965

or GPI 989 235-4294
Thanks! I'll try. I'll need several things to get it going.

I've got one of those engines! I bartered a Artic cat engine for a Rockwell JLo for my Tri-Sport project and the guy threw that in as a parts doner. I was told these two are nearly ( or are) identical internals. :shrug:
If you check E Bay there always is plenty of parts listings for them.
If ya need another complete block,get in touch w/me (minus carb & exh.)
Is it a Kohler block? I'll send you a PM.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Ya, that's the right one, if it's sure to be a 295cc

I would buy the crank shaft and rod / piston assembly

These snowmobile rods are placed onto the crank while it is being built. So taking one off is not easy.

And if yours has play, the rod and the crank are likely damaged.

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
cyl bore; 75mm / 2.95 inches

rod stroke; 66.5mm / 2.62 inches

plug gap; .020 ... NGK 8A / Champion K7

Rod play = 0.005 - 0.016 inch

according to my book

So easy way would be to check the stroke measurement.

all 1cyl kohler have 75mm bore
the stroke is what changes and carb size

K335-1 is 2.99 stroke BDC carb ???? 23hp at 5500 rpm

K309-1 is 2.75 stroke HR carb 18.9hp at 5500 rpm

K295-1 is 2.62 stroke , a HR carb, but is 18hp at 5500 rpm

K295-1T is 2.62 stroke , a HR or WR carb , but has more power 20hp at 6000 rpm

so it would be real helpfull if that has the engine cooling cover and info plate

Last edited:

WLB

If that has a pressed together crank like I think it does, a rod kit which has the rod, upper and lower bearings, and crank pin will fix your crank. It does require a hydraulic press but it isn't a big job. Truing it once it is pressed may take a little longer but it is a relatively easy job.

If you can't find a bike shop local that can press and true the crank, send me the crank and rod kit and I'll do it for you for the exact return shipping costs.

If that has a pressed together crank like I think it does, a rod kit which has the rod, upper and lower bearings, and crank pin will fix your crank. It does require a hydraulic press but it isn't a big job. Truing it once it is pressed may take a little longer but it is a relatively easy job.

If you can't find a bike shop local that can press and true the crank, send me the crank and rod kit and I'll do it for you for the exact return shipping costs.
Great info! Where do I find the kit? Can I get it from Lost Viking or GPI?
I have a 20 ton hydraulic press. I need to open mine up and see what you guys are talking about. I might take you up on that offer. Thanks!

WLB

I'm not sure where to get the rod kit but I would think anyone dealing in Kohler parts would sell them. Also you might try L A Sleeve Co. They sell rod kits and piston kits for different makes as well as cylinder sleeves.

That's the problem. Nobody around here has never seen anything like this before, even the shops that deal with Kohlers. Remember that we don't have snowmobiles in Oklahoma. :shrug:

When I first bought it about 12 years ago, I found a carb kit from a supplier in the northeast. It took a long time for me to find it. When I got it running I figured out it had a loose rod. :doah:

65ShelbyClone

I have a 20 ton hydraulic press. I need to open mine up and see what you guys are talking about.
The crank most likely looks something like this:
The Two-Stroke Shop 2-Stroke Shop

Each half of the crankshaft is pressed onto the pin, the pin is what holds it all together and the rod can't come off without taking the whole crank apart. It's very possible that a 20T press won't be enough.

In a worst-case scenario you might be able to get the parts piecemeal from other engines. Pro-X has bearing, crankpin, and I think rod dimensions in their motorcycle catalog.

WLB

20 ton press should be more than enough. My press has just 12 ton and I have never had a crank that it wouldn't press apart. Won't say it couldn't happen but in 20 years in business plus cranks I have done for friends since, they have all come apart. Biggest issue is the plate that goes between the halves bending. Some cranks require a 1/4 inch plate and that can be a problem; the plate bends before the pin breaks loose. Also cranks that are "porkchop" shaped can be difficult to support while pressing apart.

65ShelbyClone

Do a lot of two-strokes have 180° counterweighted cranks? The majority of 2T cranks I have seen were full-circle.

The crank in my bike is 180° like this:

And it's a heavy sucker. The engine alone weighs ~90lbs.

I'll have to get mine apart to see what it looks like. I've run into car trouble, so I didn't have time last weekend to look at it. I'll be doing some auto repair this weekend too.

When I get it apart, I'll post pictures.

I'm currently rebuilding a Kohler k295-2ax for my Skiroule Sonar and I can tell you first hand that you can get pretty much everything you need for a rebuild except for pistons and rings. You have to find New Old Stock pistons and/or rings someplace, or have a machine shop make you up a set. Also, to install new crank bearings you will need to get them pressed off then back on. In my area it is difficult to find a shop willing to do this so keep that in mind. Good luck with your rebuild. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk