Kz750 carbs?

Valves adjusted with shims located within cam buckets. Premeasure, make up the difference adding or subtracting shims.

Carb tuning a snap. Carb synching requires four vacuum gauges plumbed into the plenums of each carb, and about half a tank of gas. That was the first time I saw gasoline boil.

I'm thinking a child who needs free mini bikes isn't going to get too far with this. But hey, that's just me.

KZ650 (1978) with a Yoshimura 717 kit in it. Fastest thing on the road, until Kawi came out with that red 550 GPZ.
Like i said its not mne and my dad jsut bought it, was just wondering wht he needed to do

Like i said its not mne and my dad jsut bought it, was just wondering wht he needed to do
I picked up an 81 XJ550 in kind of similar condition for $100. Bike is complete, but the guy's bubba-jim of a friend screwed the valvetrain all up, and it was left outside without the valve cover on for a short time. ("Yeah, I worked at this gas station for like a year, so I know how to do valves 'cuz I think it's gettin' hard to start"). Cams rusty, one shim has been lost, and a general mess on the top end.

Take the motor apart before you spend any money on it. Carbs get expensive, and there's no sense in sending good money after bad.

when I was younger my dad had a KZ650 that the PO had added a 4:1 header on and a little tweaking.. Then eveidently fell over with the bike and got afraid of it.. I remember him and his buddy getting it back into order after sitting forever.. It was doing this stumble stumble thing at an an idle...

I also remember Mike taking it down to the corner and back "HEY jump on" so I hopped on the back... Heading back towards the house, stumble stumble stumble, so mike winds it up and dumps the clutch already rolling in 2'nd gear....

Bike went from like a 15 mph stumble stumble to a 40 mph WHEELIE walk and sounded like a chainsaw on meth... :scooter:

KZ Kawasaki are STUPID FAST!! STUPID fast.. :mellow: like do 140 bike from the 70's :mellow:

the KZ and KZ-1-900 are what a lot of the world consider the first "SUPER Bikes"

KZ Kawasaki are STUPID FAST!! STUPID fast.. :mellow: like do 140 bike from the 70's :mellow:

the KZ and KZ-1-900 are what a lot of the world consider the first "SUPER Bikes"
The 78 KZ 650 (metallic blue) was the first brand new motorcycle I ever bought. I ended up being T boned on it by a Chevy at an intersection. Screwed me up for life.

I bought it back from the insurance Co. and rebuilt it in my kitchen with the Yoshimura kit. Many, many memories of this one.

when I was younger my dad had a KZ650 that the PO had added a 4:1 header on and a little tweaking.. Then eveidently fell over with the bike and got afraid of it.. I remember him and his buddy getting it back into order after sitting forever.. It was doing this stumble stumble thing at an an idle...

I also remember Mike taking it down to the corner and back "HEY jump on" so I hopped on the back... Heading back towards the house, stumble stumble stumble, so mike winds it up and dumps the clutch already rolling in 2'nd gear....

Bike went from like a 15 mph stumble stumble to a 40 mph WHEELIE walk and sounded like a chainsaw on meth... :scooter:

Man this thread really got me thinking back on some of the bikes I owned way back when, I think I'll start a thread so we can show some of the bikes we once had....

The 78 KZ 650 (metallic blue) was the first brand new motorcycle I ever bought. I ended up being T boned on it by a Chevy at an intersection. Screwed me up for life.

I bought it back from the insurance Co. and rebuilt it in my kitchen with the Yoshimura kit. Many, many memories of this one.
blue with like a small red and gold pinstrpe.. :thumbsup: Although nobody can see them when you were going about 9,000 miles per hour

I still want a 750H2.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scooter:

I still want a 750H2.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scooter:
I know wher I can get a Hurricane Tripple engine and tranny.. They want 500 for it.. I thought of buying it, as the particular engine has quite a history in my circle of friends.. Kinda like to have the machine that created this MASSIVE pile of trophies.. :mellow:

But I don't wanna spend 500 bucks on a wall hanger..

I know wher I can get a Hurricane Tripple engine and tranny.. They want 500 for it.. I thought of buying it, as the particular engine has quite a history in my circle of friends.. Kinda like to have the machine that created this MASSIVE pile of trophies.. :mellow:

LOL, a bit of perspective for you TRK:

The average plug and play Predator upgrades cost more.
This is the same price as a Hodaka ACE.
This is the same price as a West Bend 580.
This is the same price as 3 HS Tecumseh's with leaky carburetors.
Most of the world would rather have a "smart fone" than this engine.

WALL HANGER???

I'd put that f'er on a dirtbike frame. Or, I'd build a really, really kickass bobber with it.

If you've ever ridden one, you'd understand. They are all kinds of retardedly fast, braaaapy goodness. They can still hang with some pretty snotty sportbikes even to this day.

WALL HANGER???

I'd put that f'er on a dirtbike frame. Or, I'd build a really, really kickass bobber with it.

If you've ever ridden one, you'd understand. They are all kinds of retardedly fast, braaaapy goodness. They can still hang with some pretty snotty sportbikes even to this day.
It's already on a home made pulling tractor thing with an Alsport trike body on it.. :doah: I've seen it run YEARS ago when I was like 10 or some shit.. It's VERY strong.. Homer had a shelf all the way across his wall covered with probably 50 - 75 trophies he had won with it..

It's already on a home made pulling tractor thing with an Alsport trike body on it.. :doah: I've seen it run YEARS ago when I was like 10 or some shit.. It's VERY strong.. Homer had a shelf all the way across his wall covered with probably 50 - 75 trophies he had won with it..
Doesn't belong on a tractor.

Borrow the tractor, yank the motor off out of it, & return it to the guy. Pretty simple!

Hell it aint ran in 25 years.. :laugh: And before that it went 8,000 rpm's at 20 mph.. It always ran good though.. :shrug:

Crack heads don't have 1,000 dollars for motorcycle parts...

The crankshaft drives the primary, or main shaft, through the clutch. The gears on the primary shaft drive the countershaft, also called the secondary or output shaft.

Last edited: