Late model piston/rings vs old style (HS40 rebuild)

markus

Currently building up HS40's and wanted to note a change that Tecumseh made regarding pistons and rings. In later years Tecumseh started using thinner rings. The piston size on an HS crossed with some of the OHH engines (as does alot of other internals) so they offered that piston/rings as an alternative. It can be seen on parts listings and can be a little confusing. This is not a big deal if your getting a piston/ring assembly complete. But If say you need a piston but have rings or vice versa, the rings are thinner on the late model so parts do not interchange. This was the problem for me last year and when I needed a stock piston to replace a bad one that I needed to use .010 over rings with. I ordered up the late model piston as it was all I could find new only to find the rings I had wont interchange :doah: This change may be on all the engines, I really dont know right now but something to watch for.

Here is the difference (Old on the left)

Engine above is actually a 1969 HS40, but it was only run a handful of times in the first 10 years of its life and ended up in dry storage for the rest of its life. I decided I am going to use the new style piston and rings as the lack of any wear on the bore the stock sized rings actually do come into spec (barely) and saving the old piston for something where I need to use .010 over rings and trim to fit for a better fit as I have stashed a few sets of the hard to find oversized rings....but of course cant find new or really good used pistons to use with them :doah:

delray

,Yes makus,same problem with the hs-50
The old piston has thicker rings and has a bigger bore
Then the newer hs-50's do. This is also all tied in with the same problem
You have. Also note when you pull the head off a hs-50 and it has
the small valves . It will more then likely have the small
Bore . That would be the 2.795
This piston carries over to a ohh-motor 195cc
Markus ,the newer piston that you have i wonder if that would be the
same As the 172cc ohh-motor
I don't have the numbers in front of me,but i believe
That would be a 2.625?bore or some where in that ballpark.

markus

,Yes makus,same problem with the hs-50
The old piston has thicker rings and has a bigger bore
Then the newer hs-50's do. This is also all tied in with the same problem
You have. Also note when you pull the head off a hs-50 and it has
the small valves . It will more then likely have the small
Bore . That would be the 2.795
This piston carries over to a ohh-motor 195cc
Markus ,the newer piston that you have i wonder if that would be the
same As the 172cc ohh-motor
I don't have the numbers in front of me,but i believe
That would be a 2.625?bore or some where in that ballpark.
Yea these newer HS40 pistons/rings cross with the ohh50 engines, 2 5/8"/ 2.625 bore. And yes I have seen where the LH195 and very late/last HS50's had a smaller piston in them, typical ones were 2.81" and the newer were 2.79" so they do not interchange like the HS40's do.

delray

yes markus, it does get little confusing for a guy that whats to rebuild a tecumseh motor if he does not know what to look for..
there was a small window when tecumseh hs-50's came out with electronic ignition and had the big bore and big valves.
that would be the engine to get if a guy was looking to hot rod a flathead small block tecumseh....:thumbsup:

yes markus, it does get little confusing for a guy that whats to rebuild a tecumseh motor if he does not know what to look for..
there was a small window when tecumseh hs-50's came out with electronic ignition and had the big bore and big valves.
that would be the engine to get if a guy was looking to hot rod a flathead small block tecumseh....:thumbsup:
That was one (possibly the primary?) reason for Tecumseh's downfall and ultimate demise- way too many parts options for the same model engine. Ever try finding a crankshaft or flywheel? That is a real exercise in patience and persistence! LOL
Michael