Learned advise, please?

I find myself in need of some advise for an engine, as I'm a bit behind the 8-ball on small engineas.

Have a Briggs 3-hp flathead off of an older Sears lawn edger. Numbers are 143 814032 SER 0317B.
Missing carb and tank. (It looks like the carb would have been mounted to the bottom of the tank.)
It also has a stepped output shaft. (Shoot, forgot to get dimensions.)

Would this engine be suitable enough to power my Gemini Scrambler, and might anyone have suggestions as to what type of carb to get for it?

(The grandkids will also be riding it, hence the 3-horse engine.)

Thanks.....Roger

Roger, I believe these numbers correspond to a Tecumseh engine, probably H30. Should be suitable enough for a mini bike. There are some
carb repros (made you know where) on Ebay for cheap. At least it may get you going until you decide to take further action.
Tom

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Roger, would you be able to post a photo of the engine?
It most likely is a Tecumseh but, I'm not familiar with the carb being attached to a tank on any TEC engine.
So it makes me curious. It also makes me think its a 2 stroke.

Hmmmm. I had assumed it to be a Briggs, as Sears was pretty good with using Briggs engines on thier equipment.
Arrowdog's news of it being a Tecumseh pleases me, as I have more confidence in Tec engines than I do in Briggs. (My lawnmowers have done me better with Tec's.)
Yes, I'll get a few pics tomorrow and get them up here.

If it turns out to be a Tec, I might have to get a Mod to move this thread to the appropriate sub-forum.

Roger

yes its a tecumseh. It should be fine to power youre bike. By stripped shaft you mean the bolt hole? If so thats not so bad. you can either tap it out for a larger size bolt or when you buy a clutch for it make sure it is the set screw type and then you wont need the bolt.

OK, that identifies the engine.
On to the stepped shaft problem. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.
engine 004.JPG

The larger diameter is 7/8, and the step-down measures 5/8. I think that's going to present me with a problem concerning a clutch or belt drive system.

Roger

I am having the same problem with my 3HP Briggs. You could find somebody with a lathe and turn the shaft down to 5/8, allowing for use of a clutch. I see that the stepped shaft is 5/8 like you mentioned, so you can just turn the rusty part down to that size. Otherwise a different crank + cover are your best bet here :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I am having the same problem with my 3HP Briggs. You could find somebody with a lathe and turn the shaft down to 5/8, allowing for use of a clutch. I see that the stepped shaft is 5/8 like you mentioned, so you can just turn the rusty part down to that size. Otherwise a different crank + cover are your best bet here :thumbsup:
******************************************************************************************************

SIGH, of course it's my best option. :facepalm:
I do like the idea of having it turned down, though. I just might do that.

Roger

******************************************************************************************************

SIGH, of course it's my best option. :facepalm:
I do like the idea of having it turned down, though. I just might do that.

Roger
check out this crank on e-bay. Looks like a 7/8 stepped down to 5/8 and is long enough for a clutch. You may not need a side cover, after all.

Tecumseh Crankshaft for H35 49598RSER | eBay

OK; So, to clarify, the general consensus says I have a Tec H30, right?

The auction listing that Doc steered me toward says it's for an H35. Anyone care to educate me on the designations and/or differences?

Roger

The carb you're looking at is a diaphragm carb. This one appears to be an adjustable carb from OldMiniBikes: Carburetor Tecumseh 632615 632208 632589 Carb H30 H35 H50 | eBay

Diaphragm carbs are good for angled engines (but do work fine with level engines). OldMiniBikes's carb is much cheaper and if you contact minibikin' by private message, he'll verify the part for you as an adjustable carb. The cranks for H30 H35 should be the same as there is 1/32 difference in stroke in the two engines and that should be in rod length.

A guy can get a good running edger with a straight non stepped shaft briggs for $35 or not much more with winter upon us. The engine you have just has too many things against it to successfully use it without spending more $ and time than it's worth. A $99 Harbor Freight 79cc 3hp engine would be a far better engine than a clapped out diaphragm carb side exhaust Tecumseh with a stepped shaft. Toss it and buy a better engine.