Legalizing MTD

To be honest, if MA went by horsepower instead of engine size, it would be so much easier. I have a 1968 H35 shroud that I could put on the engine and I would be home free!

But MA goes by an engine size, and also speed.
From the MA RMV ew site-

A moped or a motorized bicycle is a bicycle with or without pedals that:
  • Has an automatic transmission.
  • Has an engine cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cc.
  • Can travel no faster than 30 MPH.
You must be at least 16 years old with a valid learner’s permit or driver’s license to operate a moped or motorized bike.
NOTE: If the vehicle can travel faster than 30 MPH but no faster than 40 MPH, the MA RMV might qualify it as a limited use motorcycle.

Moped & Motorized Bike Registration
The MA RMV requires registration for mopeds and motorized bikes, but a title is not required.
To register your moped or motorized bicycle, head to your nearest MA RMV service center with:
  • Proof of ownership; if the moped/motorized bike is:
    • Used: Bill of sale.
    • New: Manufacturer's certificate of origin.
  • 2 copies of the Motorized Bicycle (Moped) Registration Certificate (Form T20017).
  • The $40 registration fee.
    • If you’re registering on or after November 1 you’ll owe $30 instead.
You’ll receive a stamped moped registration certificate and a decal to attach to your moped. Moped registrations are valid for 2 years.
Moped Operation Laws
When operating a moped or motorized bike, you MUST:
  • Wear a helmet and make sure any passenger you’re carrying also wears a helmet.
  • Stay on the right side of the road when passing another motor vehicle.
  • Signal by hand your intention to turn or stop the vehicle.
  • NOT drive faster than 25 MPH.
  • NOT drive on limited access or express state highways or off-street recreational bike paths.
    • You CAN travel in on-road bike lanes.

A motorized scooter in Massachusetts is a vehicle that is designed for you to stand on or sit on and has:
  • 2 or 3 wheels.
  • Handlebars.
  • An electric- or gas-powered motor that can drive the vehicle with or without human assistance.
In Massachusetts, mini motorcycles and pocket bikes are considered to be motorized scooters.
You must have a valid learner’s permit or driver’s license to operate a motorized scooter. You do NOTneed to register your motorized scooter.
Scooter Operation Laws
There are quite a few scooter-specific laws you should be familiar with before you hit the road.
When operating a motorized scooter, you MUST:
  • Wear protective headgear (i.e. a helmet).
  • Stay on the right side of the road, including when you’re passing another vehicle.
  • Keep your scooter equipped with signals for turning and stopping.
Additionally, you MUST NOT:
  • Drive faster than 20 MPH.
  • Travel on limited access or express state highways.
  • Carry any passengers.
  • Operate the scooter any time after sunset or before sunrise.

So it looks like trying to register it as a moped might be easiest, except for engine size, and at least the speed is 30mph instead of 20mph for the scooter. To me it seems like no VIN would be needed (from the description) with a moped, where a VIN seems to be needed for a scooter.
I am looking into Tecumseh 50cc engines now lol
Toro S200 snowblowers seem to come with 50cc 2-stroke engines.
I would have to go through all the work of installing that, then getting it running good and bring it in for the inspection, then swap in the stock engine and not have to bring it back in for 2yrs.
Sounds like a lot of work.

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to do something similar

Bought a couple of thermal flashers, 1 to operate the blinkers and 1 for 4 way flashers.
The directionals have small 12v bulbs, 3w each.
With all 4 of the lights hooked up, they flashed at the correct frequency (60-120 times a minute as per the law), but with only 2 lights hooked up, they blinked way too slowly.
I was looking for some bigger wattage bulbs, to put more load on the flasher, but really hard to find them with the correct ba9s base.

So I found a couple of "no load" flashers that were designed to work with a broader load range. They are electro/mechanical and not thermal type.
Happy to report that the lights now blink at the correct rate no matter the number of lights hooked up.
I did end up finding some 12w bulbs to replace the 3w bulbs so we'll see how that goes. Nothing wrong with brighter lights haha

Now just have to figure out the wiring which should be loads of fun

So it was kind of difficult to get the directionals and hazards working independently from each other.
The directionals kept making all 4 lights blink. I used 2 flashers, 1 for blinkers one for flashers. But the circuit kept feeding back to the 4 way flasher making them all blink. Couldn’t figure out how to split the circuit.

The fix ended up being using a DPST switch for the hazards. The double throw switch split the circuit to prevent 12v from feeding back to the hazard flasher when the directionals are in use.

I had a huge DPST toggle switch here that worked but that switch is too big to fit into the hand controls.
There is a tiny rocker switch in the hand controls that I cut the rectangular hole out and installed, but that is a SPST switch, just on/off for a kill switch.
I ended up not using that SPST for a kill switch, so was looking for a DPST switch that is the same size.
Ended up finding one that I think I can get to work. It is definitely slightly bigger, might have to turn the switch horizontally and recut the throttle housing but I’m hoping it will work

Thanks for reading!

A diode in each power wire at the light will stop the back feed.
Thanks for that info!
I ended up finding a DPST mini rocker switch that is a slightly larger version of the switch that is already installed.
Took a long time searching to find it though lol
Things are tight in the hand controls, I can def make it work but I may have to use the TIG to build up some material to space the switch away from the handlebars on the inside.

Large red rocker on the left is the kill switch I had before installing the hand controls.
I was going to use the tiny one for the kill switch but decided I liked the one that was there already. The black and red wires are soldered to the tiny switch already so I could still use it as a kill switch. It’s kind of a tossup- the tiny switch is closer to the throttle, but it’s also smaller and not of as good quality as the large one to the left. Every one of my bikes has that same kill switch so I am familiar with it.

Last edited:
Actually now that I think about it, I might be able to use the tiny switch for the kill switch, and then disassemble the large rocker on the left and install the DPST switch in that plastic housing. So the kill switch would be right next to the throttle and the hazards would be further inboard.
It makes sense, I just hope I don’t end up needing the kill and turning on the hazards right before I crash lol because I am used to that kill switch