Lifan or Chinese Clone?

This is the serial # on my engine. 168F - 2E* 10000067. I’d think it’s a 6.5hp 212 Lifan. Or is it a generic Chinese clone not necessarily a Lifan?

SAS289

168 should mean a 196cc. If you see 170 on the block it would be 208 or 212.

How many bolts are there on the rocker cover? 4 or 5?

I have one of my 196 cc Harbor Freight Greyhounds on the bench right now. It's number also starts with 168F 2E. My 8 digit number starts with a 9. My engine is from late 2009.

Last edited:

I have one of my 196 cc Harbor Freight Greyhounds on the bench right now. It's number also starts with 168F 2E. My 8 digit number starts with a 9. My engine is from late 2009.
My rocker cover has 5 bolts. That helps identify also?

SAS289

Yes. You have a Harbor Freight Greyhound. Pretty much a Chinese Lifan clone.

The side cover and rocker cover gaskets are unique and are available at Studzracing,com Someone should add this to the sticky on this engine in the Clone section. All other GX200 and clone parts work on this engine. The gas tank mount is different from a standard Clone block.

And I forgot to mention... The 68 in the number 168 means 68mm bore.

Last edited:

Lizardking

Yes. You have a Harbor Freight Greyhound. Pretty much a Chinese Lifan clone.

The side cover and rocker cover gaskets are unique and are available at Studzracing,com Someone should add this to the sticky on this engine in the Clone section. All other GX200 and clone parts work on this engine. The gas tank mount is different from a standard Clone block.

And I forgot to mention... The 68 in the number 168 means 68mm bore.
I have a 6.5. Greyhound that starts at first pull, even after sitting for months. Good to know the parts for the gx fit. Vote for sticky..Thanks!
IMG_20200616_122900.jpg

Last edited:

SAS289

They're ok. I bought 3 of these in 2009. From what I recall with a coupon and tax it was $88 a piece. I initially questioned the quality and opened them up before they were ran. All three were loaded with metal shavings inside the block. On one of them I found that one of the rod bolts was only finger tight.

2 of them I used to repower my small snow blower and push leaf blower. The other I used on a mini bike recently after it sat all those years.

Lizardking

They're ok. I bought 3 of these in 2009. From what I recall with a coupon and tax it was $88 a piece. I initially questioned the quality and opened them up before they were ran. All three were loaded with metal shavings inside the block. On one of them I found that one of the rod bolts was only finger tight.

2 of them I used to repower my small snow blower and push leaf blower. The other I used on a mini bike recently after it sat all those years.
Same thing goes for most all Chinese clones. Found shavings on a predator 212cc when deleting the governor before Any oil was added. I like to break them in and change the oil . I'LL change the oil again after it has a few hrs of run time. Haven't used the Greyhound yet since I bought it used a few months ago but do pull on the cord from time to time.

Thanks for the info on the #’s.

delray

yep the greyhound will have 5 bolt pattern on the head and the block will have the small mounting ears for the gas tank. there kind of all buy themselves on the outside. for the insides you can buy a .020 longer billet rod with a better piston too. they will only have a 25/24 valve setup. but don't let that discourage you. still get set of ss narrow stem valves and a good porting job and this little engine will move out on a minibike bike all day.

SAS289

yep the greyhound will have 5 bolt pattern on the head and the block will have the small mounting ears for the gas tank. there kind of all buy themselves on the outside. for the insides you can buy a .020 longer billet rod with a better piston too. they will only have a 25/24 valve setup. but don't let that discourage you. still get set of ss narrow stem valves and a good porting job and this little engine will move out on a minibike bike all day.
I'm sure I have read it somewhere but don't recall... With a .010" head gasket and the stock head what is the minimum "in the hole" to shoot for?

delray

I'm sure I have read it somewhere but don't recall... With a .010" head gasket and the stock head what is the minimum "in the hole" to shoot for?
somewhere in the .015-.020 in the hole still and plus the thickness of the head gasket .010
I like to coat it with the copper spray.
NOW caution when milling the head and using a autolite racing plug. it will smack the piston unless you shim the plug.
with the longer rod and a honda Z4M flat top thin ring piston and .050 off the head will get in in the ballpark of 11.25-11.5 compression and will still run on 91 ethanol free gas all day...:scooter: