Lighting Coil/Electric Starter Question

Hello,

I have an Hs50 with H35 non lighted aluminum flywheel and thin H35 shroud. I am looking to add a lighting coil to this engine.
Optimally, I would like to also add a small 12v battery and electric starter to this bike as well.
In order to fit under the thin shroud, would I need an H35 lighting coil and flywheel, or would an Hs40 coil and flywheel work?
It seems like the Hs50 flywheel would be too wide to fit under there and I am not sure about the width of the other flywheels.
Would hate to pay big bucks for a lighting coil and flywheel and have it not fit.

I am searching the forums now for info. If anyone has info, or a link to this info that would be great and save me some hassle.
Also if anyone has a link to a 12v starter and ignition switch that would work for my Hs50, that would also be greatly appreciated.
I am also researching this but am not coming up with much.

Not on topic but on my recoil the spring is weak and needs a better rope. Shroud is H35, does that mean I need an H35 recoil spring, or will H35/Hs40/Hs50 spring work?

Thanks and have a nice day!

BTW this is a points motor. I am finding coils but don’t I need two coils, 1 for head/tail and 1 for brake light? Should I be looking for an alternator coil instead, or in addition?
The non lighted flywheel I am now using, is part # 32517
Looking at a lighted flywheel part # 610769. I don’t see any magnets on the inside of the flywheel is that because it’s aluminum? Thanks

Ok so after doing a bunch of reading, I guess my question is-
Will Hs40 flywheel fit under H35 shroud?
Thanks
Tried to go back and edit this thread but could not

markus

Ok so after doing a bunch of reading, I guess my question is-
Will Hs40 flywheel fit under H35 shroud?
Thanks
Tried to go back and edit this thread but could not
The 32517 flywheel you have IS an HS40 flywheel (an H35 aluminum flywheel would not fit on an HS engine due to the difference in taper size) .....so yes an HS40 flywheel will fit under an H35 shroud. Regarding a 61079 lighted flywheel, the magnets are cast into the wheel all the way around.

One big problem with going electric 12v starter and thin, early style shroud........Tecumseh never did it. The lighted flywheels dont even have provisions for ring gear or teeth for a starter, so that knocks that dream out. There was a funky one they made breifly for an electric starter, but it was 110v only starter, so you need to carry a generator and extension cord to use it ;)

Still want to go lighted? The next issue you have to deal with is clearance for the flywheel itself if the shroud you are using is not from a lighted engine originally. The lighted wheels come out just slightly thicker than their non lighted counterparts in the 60's and early 70's before Tecumseh changed to steel flywheels. This is why all originally equipped with lighting system small frame engines, pre steel flywheels, have studs for the starter recoil instead of screws or rivets, so nothing is sticking into the shroud. The riveted or screw versions can be used but you have to alter by thinning and making sure you have sufficient clearance for the fins of the flywheel, more the better in case the shroud gets slightly dented or pushed in....a very common thing on mini bike engines.

Thanks so much Markus for this information!
Saved me a bunch of headache and set me in the right direction.
I found a stator ring that has (2) harnesses coming out, looks like 1 harness is for lighting and the other harness is for charging/starting circuit. It is expensive though.
So I have a thin aluminum flywheel and a fat aluminum flywheel, both have teeth for the starter gear.
Can I put a thick steel lighted flywheel with teeth under my thicker shroud? Thicker shroud has the cutout provision for the starter.
Can’t believe no aluminum lighted flywheels with teeth, that’s a bummer. I do like the thin shroud for footpeg clearance but I could live with the fat shroud if could have lights and a starter.
Is there a big performance difference between the aluminum and steel flywheels? I like the way the engine performs now but again, could live with a little less performance if I had to

Thanks again!

Markus, would you happen to know if #611290 would fit inside a steel Hs50 toothed flywheel?
I am using an early taper BB crank on this engine, but I have an NOS late taper bushing crank that I could install if that would make it easier.

Part # comes up as NLA from my quick search and not even a picture

Thanks!