lighting problem.

i bought a light that it 12v 55w and its dime as crap... i was going to buy a 12v 25w bulb for it today... will it be any brighter? i need to actually see were im going and the light does not help at all. any solutions on how to fix this

oldsledz

I don't know for sure but I don't think you have enough power for a 55W light.

on my old snowmobiles the light is dim at low RPMs but work ok as long as you are moving.

Someone here should know what the lighting coil is rated at, Steve Durham probably knows.

I don't know for sure but I don't think you have enough power for a 55W light.

on my old snowmobiles the light is dim at low RPMs but work ok as long as you are moving.

Someone here should know what the lighting coil is rated at, Steve Durham probably knows.
i dont have enough power to power the light even at high RPMs the light does not throw off any kind of light... and i belive its rated at 6v and the light im trying to run is a 12v

TomH

You need a test meter to determine voltage unless you are sure it is a 6V light. If it is 6V, a 12V is not going to cut it unless you change over to a 12V system $$$. You don't say if it is a small bulb that can be replaced or a large headlight assembly similar to a car headlight, a sealed beam setup. Bulbs can be found on the internet. A specific sized sealed beam is going to be harder for sure unless it is something an old car or tractor used. Might find a reproduction small 6V running light that fits an old car.

You need a test meter to determine voltage unless you are sure it is a 6V light. If it is 6V, a 12V is not going to cut it unless you change over to a 12V system $$$. You don't say if it is a small bulb that can be replaced or a large headlight assembly similar to a car headlight, a sealed beam setup. Bulbs can be found on the internet. A specific sized sealed beam is going to be harder for sure unless it is something an old car or tractor used. Might find a reproduction small 6V running light that fits an old car.
im pretty sure the motor is 6v and i can replace the headlight but it needs to be a special light cause its a fog light. it works but very poorly

TomH

if it is an original light and it is dim, the first thing you want to do is make sure all of your connections are good. No loose or frayed wires flopping around in the wind or where they are fastened to spade, or round connectors or spliced together. Take off the connections and clean the connection and the place where they are connected to with a wire brush or fine grit sandpaper, steel wool, something along those lines. If there is rust/corrosion in any bulb socket, it either has to be cleaned out of there, or the socket has to be replaced. Electricity has to be able to flow like a river. Bad connections are like a dam. The the electricity has to go around or through these bad areas, and voltage is lost.

if it is an original light and it is dim, the first thing you want to do is make sure all of your connections are good. No loose or frayed wires flopping around in the wind or where they are fastened to spade, or round connectors or spliced together. Take off the connections and clean the connection and the place where they are connected to with a wire brush or fine grit sandpaper, steel wool, something along those lines. If there is rust/corrosion in any bulb socket, it either has to be cleaned out of there, or the socket has to be replaced. Electricity has to be able to flow like a river. Bad connections are like a dam. The the electricity has to go around or through these bad areas, and voltage is lost.
the light is one of the new car fog lights i got from the auto parts store.. my motor puts out 6v and the light is a 12v it is to dime and does not get as bright as id like it to when the motor is at max RPMs..... is there any way to convert my motor to acept a 12v light?

71 Dodge : What you need to know is the amperage of your lighting coil ? Is their a battery in the circuit ? I test amperage with a amp meter and I am 100% positive that a small engine won't produce enough power to fully light up a 55 watt bulb. My Tecumseh engine has a dual coil a 3 amp D C coil and a 5 amp A C coil. You should supply the model number of your engine and a picture of the connector plug then it might be information in the manual to help you. Steve :scooter:

Dodge, The formula you need is: P=IxE where P is the watts and I is the amps and E is the voltage. In your case where you want to fully light a 55 watt bulb with 6 volts; your motor is going to have to put out at least 9.2 amps. Like Steve said above; your motor is probably only putting out around three amps and that's not nearly enough to fully light your 55 watt bulb. Using the above formula, if you do indeed have 6 volts and 3 amps the best you can hope for is about 18 watts. Hope this helps. Ogy

71 Dodge : What you need to know is the amperage of your lighting coil ? Is their a battery in the circuit ? I test amperage with a amp meter and I am 100% positive that a small engine won't produce enough power to fully light up a 55 watt bulb. My Tecumseh engine has a dual coil a 3 amp D C coil and a 5 amp A C coil. You should supply the model number of your engine and a picture of the connector plug then it might be information in the manual to help you. Steve :scooter:
there is no battery its running right off the motor.... the motor is a 5hp B&S... and what if i got a 12v 25 watt bulb would that help any?

Dodge, The formula you need is: P=IxE where P is the watts and I is the amps and E is the voltage. In your case where you want to fully light a 55 watt bulb with 6 volts; your motor is going to have to put out at least 9.2 amps. Like Steve said above; your motor is probably only putting out around three amps and that's not nearly enough to fully light your 55 watt bulb. Using the above formula, if you do indeed have 6 volts and 3 amps the best you can hope for is about 18 watts. Hope this helps. Ogy
thanks ogy..... now what if i were to run a 12v 25 watt bulb in it? would this help any

thanks ogy..... now what if i were to run a 12v 25 watt bulb in it? would this help any
According to the formula that should only require a little over 4 amps. If your coil is putting out only three amps; you're still going to be shy of the amperage needed to light your bulb to the full 25 watt brightness. With your output of 3 amps at 6 volts I'm afraid you're limited to right around 18 watts. Ogy

According to the formula that should only require a little over 4 amps. If your coil is putting out only three amps; you're still going to be shy of the amperage needed to light your bulb to the full 25 watt brightness. With your output of 3 amps at 6 volts I'm afraid you're limited to right around 18 watts. Ogy
it still should be a little brighter then the 55watt thats in it now though right?